Chapter Five - Rings

AN: I usually try to shoot for 2000-3000 words for each chapter, but this one got so big that I had to split it in an awkward spot... Anyway, points to anyone that finds the Yona anime reference in this chapter.

-o-o-

"Of all the things to suggest!" Cynthia fumed, still clearly annoyed by the lord's suggestion.

Steven hesitated with his reply, his tone tentative. "There's no reason to get so upset about it. It's just acting the part, right?"

His attempt to diffuse her ire only seemed to focus it his way, though her glare quickly softened and she merely sighed in defeat. "Yes, you're right of course. But still, it's not something I'm agreeing to."She gave an obstinate sniff. "I refuse."

She didn't want to come across as petty, but suggestion that she was pregnant felt like a direct insult to her trim figure. She worked hard to stay in shape despite her insatiable need for sweet treats. She was suddenly craving a three layered ice cream cone but realized it most likely didn't exist yet, which put her in an even worse mood.

"Lord Shingen has a point though," Aaron replied lightly as he led the way to the armory tent, obviously having been listening to their debate."Whereas your feigned marriage should fend off most troublemakers,there could still be those audacious enough to harass a married woman, especially if you two should be separated for any reason.But-"

"Sir Aaron,"Cynthia cut him off, pointedly, causing both men to blink at her in surprise. "I thank you for your concern. But I'll take my chances."

"Suit yourself," Aaron said with an indifferent shrug and tried to look as though her icy tone hadn't affected him. He glanced from her hands to Steven's and paused his stride to address another matter. "Steven, may I ask why it is you wear four rings? Is it common to have four wives where you're from?"

"Huh!?"Steven nearly fell over himself in embarrassment while Cynthia tried to hide a sudden string of giggles behind one hand. He was glad her mood had shifted but not at his expense! "N-no, I'm not married at all!" he replied fervently, perhaps a little too fervently. "I'm simply an avid stone and ore enthusiast and my rings are a way for me to express myself as such."

"I... see," Aaron replied slowly, as though he were trying desperately to understand. He waited to address the issue further until they entered the armory and made sure the large tent was vacant. "In any case,whereas it may be normal wearing multiple rings where you're from,here and now it will give the wrong impression. Might I suggest you give the lady one of your rings and stow the excess for now?"

"You say that as if it's a simple thing," Steven grumbled as he and Cynthia stepped into the tent, their four Pokémon made to wait outside again. He took a solemn moment to remove his right hand rings and the one on his left index finger, leaving only his left ring finger band on.

With the relative privacy of only Aaron and Lucario as onlookers, Steven met Cynthia's gray gaze. She appeared bothered by the whole ordeal but held out her left hand, palm up, as if anticipating him to simply drop it there.

Steven frowned at the thought. Simply handing her the ring seemed so callous and wrong to him. All his life he had been taught to treat women with tenderness and care, and despite Cynthia viewing this whole affair as nothing but an act, he was resolved to give her the ring with at least some level of elegance.

"May I?" he asked, reaching out with his own hand palm up. Cynthia tipped her head with a curious expression but eventually turned her hand over into his without a fuss.

Sheepishly, and turning various shades of red, Steven glanced between her eyes and their hands as he slipped one of his rings onto her left ring finger, noting that it was a bit loose but not so much that it might slip off. "This was not how I imagined I'd be giving a woman a ring..."