Chapter Seven - Dance

AN: Get your tissues ready and cue the sad background music... (I listened to sad Naruto songs and bawled my eyes out writing this...)

Also, in regards to episode JN115, I have just two things to say: (violently shakes Cynthia and Steven by the collar)Stop ignoring each other! You're killing me here! And Steven, stop lurking in the corner, you're not Vegeta! xD

-o-o-o-

It was a gray, rainy day outside as a five year old Cynthia sat curled up bythe window, clutching tight to a small Garchomp plushie. She tried to focus on the sound of the raindrops hitting the glass with little success. She couldn't block out the noise of her parents arguing in the next room.

It wasn't that hearing them argue was anything new, but this time was different for some reason. Mom had went to the doctor the day before because of a really bad headache. Spending the whole day and night at the hospital had been both scary and boring, but at least Grandma had been there to keep her company, since Dad was busy taking care of Mom.

Then, for some reason, everything had changed when they returned home this morning. Grandma wasn't there to explain anything and most of what her parents said didn't make sense even though she tried really hard to understand. The words "terminal" and "illness" kept popping up, but she didn't know those words yet.

Her head snapped to attention at her father's latest sentence though. "I love you too much! I just can't stay here, knowing you could die at any given moment! I can't bear to see it!"

Cynthia knew what the word "die" meant though. Was Mom going to die? She rushed over to the doorway between the rooms to see her mom doubled over in a chair, crying, while her dad was by the front door, a suitcase and his coat in hand. Was Dad leaving?

"That's not love!" her mother sobbed out. "Or did you forget your vows?"

Her father made an agonizing sound but said nothing more as he turned for the door. His gaze caught on Cynthia and for a brief moment, he hesitated, his expression softening. "Dad?" she called after him, tears brimming in her eyes as she dropped her Garchomp and tried to run to him, but he was out the door before her small frame could reach him.

"Dad, comeback!" By the time she opened the door and ran out onto the porch after him, he was already driving off in one of the two cars they owned. "Dad!"Why did he leave? How could he leave, especially when Mom was so sick?

Maybe there was just something she didn't understand yet. Maybe everything would be ok tomorrow. Cynthia went back inside to see her mom on the phone, still crying as she tried to talk. "Yes... He's gone."

Cynthia ran up to her mother and crawled into her lap, demanding to be held and hoping she could hear the person on the other line. It was faint and she couldn't make out the words, but she was sure she could hear Grandma's voice. Grandma always made things better... Surely this time would be no different?

"Just... come get her," her mom said through a shaky voice. "It's best if she doesn't see it happen."

"Mom?" Cynthia whimpered, not understanding anything anymore. She heard her grandma's voice again.

"Two months isn't enough time to justify the risk of traumatizing her," her mom replied, her voice growing firm with determination. "Better to get her used to the idea of only having you."

Grandma's voice crackled again as Cynthia clutched tighter to her mother and buried face into her neck. "Right, see you soon." Ending the call, her mother wrapped both arms around her and shushed her softly. "You'll be ok, sweetheart," she told her as she kissed her head and stroked her hair tenderly. "I promise, you'll be ok."