Chapter Nineteen - Possibility

The throne room of Lord Shingen's castle was grand and spacious, with gilded walls and large, hanging tapestries depicting a rearing gold Raikou on a red backdrop. The lord himself, sometimes called the Raikou of Kai in human form, was seated on his throne as he gestured for his two vassals to rise from their kneeling positions before him.

"Yukimura," Shingen addressed one of them. "I believe we've covered all the necessary matters concerning our journey to the embassy. Go make certain the caravan is ready to depart. We leave at once!"

Yukimura in turn stood and made a hasty salute before running off as he was bid. As the remaining vassal, Steven stood up slower, feeling an odd, disorienting feeling as he did.

"Are you unwell, Steven?" Shingen wanted to know as he got up from his throne to approach; the concern on his imposing face was somewhat disconcerting. "As you know, this embassy is immensely important in unifying the clans. I can't have my... only available scholar sick on the job."

"Ah, no I'm fine, thank you for your concern," Steven answered, mostly truthful. His mind felt unusually sluggish, as if he were submerged in water and his thoughts and memories were like fish that he had to try and grope for. "I'm just, still reeling from the news yesterday... And the fact that Cynthia won't be going with us."

"Ah yes, the news!" Shingen barked with raucous laughter as he gave Steven a hefty pat on the back. "I believe some congratulations are in order! Although a proper celebration will have to wait until we get back."

Steven cleared his throat objectively, both jarred by the pat and abashed by the comment. "Yes, well, that's assuming Her Radiance even lets me out of her sight after we get back." He smiled mischievously at the nickname his wife was widely known for and had to fight the urge to join in with Shingen's chuckling.

The lord's laughter was abruptly cut off as his gaze caught on someone by the entrance. "Speaking of... I'll just leave you alone to say goodbye." Shingen nodded to Cynthia as he crossed to make his exit. "Your Radiance."

"Your Lordship," Cynthia returned with a respectful nod of her own; she had long since given up on discouraging the nickname. "I wish you safe travels to the embassy."

"Indeed!" Shingen replied enthusiastically, giving his chest a proud thump. "I'll have your husband home before the new moon!"

"I'll hold you to that," Cynthia warned in her no-nonsense tone, causing Shingen to offer a rare, wincing expression before making a hasty exit.

Steven didn't need to meet his wife's gaze to know she was in a sour mood; he could feel the electrical tension in the air, as if she were the Raikou with a thundercloud instead of Shingen.

"I don't like this," Cynthia told him as she approached and halted directly in front of him. "We haven't been truly separated since we got here."

"I know. And I don't like it either," Steven agreed as he tenderly touched her visible cheek. "But this is our job now. Besides, we chose scholar work to avoid the more... hazardous occupations, so it's not like I'll be on the front-lines if the caravan is attacked."

Cynthia lowered her gaze with a frown. "I still don't see why I can't go with you."

"Oh, but I think you do," Steven replied and leaned forward to touch his forehead to hers endearingly. "This isn't the safe, modern world we used to know. Here, just traveling in your... state could prove disastrous."

"My state," Cynthia nearly spat, but immediately calmed herself with a defeated sigh as she leaned against him indulgently. "I wish I'd never told you."