Chapter Thirteen - Placate

AN: A small part of this chapter was inspired by Shots by Imagine Dragons, and another was inspired by a pretty little Star Wars quote.<3

-o-o-o-

The glade was sunny and peaceful as Metagross watched over his seven friends. Glaceon was playing tag with Lucario and Excadrill. Cradilly and Armaldo were sunning themselves. Milotic was napping in the shade. Spiritomb... hadn't moved at all since its master had disappeared, but Metagross thought that might be for the best for some reason.

The peace was suddenly shattered at the sound of some extremely swift paw-steps coming from somewhere in the forest encircling the glade. Seconds later, a huge Arcanine emerged from the shadows of the trees. Landing deftly in the clearing, it stopped to look around, regarding all seven Pokémon curiously before a trainer slid off its back and did the same.

The trainer appeared to be an adolescent male judging by his hairstyle and clothing. "Uh-oh," the boy said, gulping nervously and no doubt realizing with a glance the sheer power that surrounded him. "Nines, what have you gotten us into?"

His Arcanine whined in reply but then barked and wagged its fluffy tail, as if knowing the others wouldn't attack unprovoked. "What are you all doing here?" the boy asked curiously, having relaxed after Metagross and the others (except Spiritomb) moved to greet him; after so many days without their masters, seeing another trainer was sort of exciting for them.

While the others attempted to explain their situation in vain, Metagross focused its psychic energy to lift and move seven Pokéballs from the stash in the camp. Dropping everything at the boy's feet, the metal spider jabbed a clawed arm deliberately at the ground. "Meh-ta!"

It took a moment for the crude explanation to sink in, but the boy finally seemed to get it. "Ah, you all have masters but they had to leave for some reason and told you to stay here?"

The seven Pokémon all nodded and chirped affirmation. "I see!" the boy said with a nod. He laughed when Glaceon practically forced her head under his hand, begging for a pat. "You're all very loyal and obedient, aren't you?"

Suddenly a low rumbling caught everyone's attention and they all turned to see the Arcanine sniffing around Spiritomb's seal stone...

All seven Pokémon cried out at once, but it was too late. Spiritomb's hazy form burst forth with an unearthly howl of rage, thinking she and her friends were under attack. "Tomb!" She shot off a dark pulse at the Arcanine, causing it yelp and retreat to its trainer.

"Huh!?" the boy screeched in terror. "Nines! What have you unleashed!?"

Metagross and the other six immediately moved to intercept Spiritomb's rampage while simultaneously shouting at the Arcanine to take its trainer and run away.

The Arcanine didn't hesitate to obey as it picked up its trainer and darted out of the glade, leaving quite the chaotic melee behind.

-o-o-o-

Following behind Aaron and the attendant, Steven kept casting anxious glances back the way they had come, hoping to somehow check on Cynthia's location to no avail; it was too dark and they had turned down a row of tents that blocked his view.

Even by the time they reached their destination he still felt uneasy, and frankly, annoyed with Aaron's apathy. "Here is the sauna tent. You may use the towels in the changing tents at your leisure," the attendant explained briefly before bowing and dismissing himself. "I will go and fetch a clean change of clothes for both of you."

Once he was out of earshot and no one else was in the immediate area, Steven turned to Aaron with a frown. "Are you sure it's ok to split up like this?"