Chapter Fifteen - Memories

AN: I just know everyone is gonna think I wrote this after a certain piece of Cynthia artwork was released, but the truth is, I had this first part written about three months ago! But whether you believe me or not, I hope you enjoy! This chapter is my treasure. <3

Warning: Alcohol referenced in this chapter too.

-o-o-o-

After an exciting plane ride and a short walk to a children's park, a seven year old Cynthia wriggled with excitement at the sight of other kids running around and shouting in play. She beamed up at her grandma, practically bouncing where she stood, waiting for permission to go play.

"Now Cynthia, you behave and have fun," her grandma said. "I'll just be right down the street in that big building, alright?" The elderly lady then regarded the loyal Umbreon that walked beside them. "And you stay with Cynthia and keep her out of trouble, understand?"

The Umbreon yipped affirmation and Cynthia nodded vigorously. She understood that her grandma had some important business with a "Mister Stone", and that was why they had to travel so far on a plane. Her grandma nodded back and regarded Cynthia's Gible, who trundled along behind them. "You go play too."

The young Gible warbled its own excitement and trailed after Umbreon and Cynthia as they took off towards the other children while her grandma headed for the building.

Before she got within range of the group of kids, Cynthia noticed a lone boy off to the side. With interesting pale blue hair, he had his back to her and was sitting on the ground with a small shovel in his hands. There was also a large Houndoom watching over him and a silver plated Aron chirping and digging beside him.

Cynthia stopped and dithered, looking between the boy and the other kids. The obvious choice was to be with the group, because tag was much more fun that way, so why was this boy all alone?... She had to know.

"Hi there, my name's Cynthia. What's your name?" When the boy glanced her way but then promptly ignored her, Cynthia only grew more determined to get an answer out of him. She was oblivious to the Houndoom tipping his head at her curiously before he barked a friendly greeting to the Umbreon. "What'chya doin'? Why are you over here all alone?"

"Steven," the boy eventually mumbled and sighed in defeat as he shrugged his shoulders. "I prefer to play alone."

Umbreon and Houndoom continued to sit and watch the two children dutifully, alert to any potential dangers. Every now and then making small huffs or yips at each other, as if in conversation.

"How come?" Cynthia pressed again, her curiosity ever insatiable.

"I don't get along with the other kids." He shrugged again.

Cynthia blinked at him and tipped her head quizzically. "Why?"

Steven scowled suddenly. "Cause I don't like bullies!" His outburst caused her to flinch, resulting in him muttering an apology. "Sorry."

Cynthia was not to be deterred. She looked over at the other kids, then back to him. "Do other kids bully you?"

With his gaze downcast, the boy focused back on his digging project, nodding his head slightly in answer.

"Why?"

He sighed again. "It's complicated."

"Oh." Cynthia thought for a moment. "Do you think I'm a bully?"

The boy gave her an evaluating glance before answering with a comical snort. "No."

"Good!" Taking his answer as an invitation to stay, Cynthia chirped and plopped down beside him, inspecting the turned up dirt around him. "Sooo? What'chya doing?"