Chapter Twelve - Pretense

AN: Even though I do my best with character descriptions, I realize it is not my strength, so I recommend googling characters as they are introduced. On the other hand, I get the feeling this isn't very important to most readers, so I'm not gonna stress over it...

/o/o/o/

Reflecting the light of the full moon, a Noctowl's shining eyes peered out from the darkness, watchful as a group of humans and Pokémon passed by.

Aaron continued to lead the way, heading straight for the army camp just ahead.

Just as he had warned, they hadn't managed to reach the camp before darkness fell, which meant everyone was once again exhausted and cold. It seemed like the closer they got to the mountains, the colder it got, and although there's wasn't any snow coming down at the moment, it felt as though it could start falling at any time.

To make matters worse, just reaching the camp was not the end of their day. They were still expected to meet with the lord and receive his permission to stay and accept the tedious hospitality that went along with it.

Cynthia was torn. On one hand, she was so tired that she wished they could just setup their own tiny camp on the spot, stalling all the formal rigmarole for tomorrow. On the other, she was feeling exceedingly desperate for a warm bath and some actual, substantial food. She suspected Steven was dealing with the same quandary, judging by his furrowed brows.

In the end though, it wasn't up to them, as Aaron had already made it clear that time was not on their side and that they needed to meet with Kenshin immediately.

Before reaching the main gate, he turned to the pair with a sympathetic look. "I know you're both tired, but I ask that you hold out a little while longer. Once the initial introductions are over, and possibly after dinner, you'll be able to rest up until sometime tomorrow."

Not having the energy to argue or complain, Steven and Cynthia simply nodded dully. Aaron started to turn around only to stop and scrutinize them carefully. "And... need I remind you that you're married?"

The pair blinked at him in something of a dazed stupor before turning to each other and remembering the act they were meant to portray. Steven immediately held out his arm and dipped his head respectfully, while Cynthia breathed a weary sigh but took to his arm without a fuss, idly appreciating the warmth he provided.

"I sincerely hope I don't have to do a lot of talking," she grumbled with a frown. Her mind felt so sluggish and foggy from a lack of calories and rest that she didn't think she could hold a conversation for very long even if she wanted to.

Steven apparently felt the same way as he nodded in agreement. "You shouldn't need to," Aaron replied as he continued toward the gate. "You both are simply being introduced as my students, so remaining silent and respectful should suffice for now."

The camp itself was partially surrounded by a crude barrier made of logs, while the "gates" were simply gaps between the walls with guards stationed there. Countless white tents loomed inside, with the orange glow of many campfires flickering throughout the enclosure.

"State your business strangers," one of the guards called out and stepped forward with his hand on the hilt of his sword in an obvious warning.

"Peacekeepers," Aaron called back clearly and held out his staff, as if doing so were proof of his claim. "Sent by Lord Shingen of Terrera."

"Very well," the guard replied and visibly relaxed. "We received a messenger Pidgey some days ago concerning your arrival. You're late."

"Yes, there were delays."