Chapter Nine - Boundaries

AN: Ack, I'm still way behind on my writing, so I'm planning on taking another two weeks between updates. Also, points to whoever finds the cringy Star Wars reference in this chapter. No hints, you'll find it when you see it...

-o-o-o-

For Celebi, it felt like the whole world was trembling around her. Curled up in her protective cocoon of vines, she scowled with annoyance as she woke from an unpleasant sleep.

At the sound of muffled, harsh and unfamiliar voices, she opened her eyes but remained unable to see outside her oval shelter. Focusing her psychic power, she was able to see and hear her surroundings through the eyes and ears of the one who carried her under his arm.

Sitting atop a grand throne inside what appeared to be a large tent, was a dark haired man with amber eyes so bright that they almost gleamed red.His armor was black and his clothes were a royal amethyst with gold trim.

"Ranmaru," the man on the throne thundered with barely restrained ire. "Just what have you brought me that you deemed so important that you ordered our entire left flank to regroup?"

The young man called Ranmaru, through which Celebi could see, knelt and bowed his head. "My Lord Nobunaga," he replied. "I believe I've found anew power for you to wield."

Nobunaga sneered. "You believe?"

"Yes, My Lord, please allow me to explain." Ranmaru raised his head and set Celebi's cocoon on the floor in front of him. "I encountered some unusually dressed travelers in the forest bordering Shingen's camp. This strange Pokémon was with them, but I only managed to catch a glimpse of it before it wrapped itself in this cocoon."

"Get to the point, Ranmaru," Nobunaga growled dangerously.

"My Lord," Ranmaru said soberly, as though his next sentence held the most important words of his life; perhaps they did, with the murderous glare Nobunaga was shooting down at him. "I suspect those travelers were from another continent, from across the great ocean.Therefore, I believe this Pokémon has the ability to transport both people and their Pokémon partners across great distances."

Well, you're not wrong, Celebi thought to herself. Her mild amusement was short lived as she watched the lord's expression shift from angry, to surprised, then finally to arrogant.

"Well, that changes things!" Nobunaga practically roared with a harsh, mirthless laugh. "With such a power, we could rout the entirety of Ransei in a matter of days!"

"Yes, My Lord."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

With great effort, Celebi concentrated her thoughts into the young man, willing him to latch onto an explanation that would allow her to rest more.

"I'm sorry My Lord," Ranmaru replied, frowning, as if confused for an instant. "But it remains dormant. I believe it is sleeping in order to recover its powers."

"Hmm," Nobunaga grumbled but gradually nodded his approval. "Very well. Take it to a secure location and keep it under a constant guard. I wish to know the moment it awakens."

"At once, My Lord," Ranmaru replied and turned to obey.

"Hold a moment," Nobunaga said. "What of the travelers? Did you dispose of them?"

Ranmaru cringed. "No. They seemed inconsequential at the time."

"An oversight that may prove to be your undoing."