Chapter Seventeen - Mistake

Pale, overcast clouds blanketed the sky and hid the sun's exact location, but Steven guessed it was probably directly overhead. It had only been a couple hours since they had departed Kenshin's camp, which meant it was probably close to noon.

He frowned at the map in his hands, resisting the urge for the umpteenth time to reach for his phone that wasn't there, which was normally tucked into one of his vest pockets. Without a compass or even a Pokétch to check the time, it would be difficult to maintain a proper course until the sun's location became more obvious.

Sighing in resignation, he rolled up the map and looked over to Cynthia, who walked beside him but slightly ahead. She forged onward without much concern about direction, her dark ninja clothes swaying with the cold breeze while her still braided hair trailed down her back.

Steven still found himself somewhat puzzled by her sudden aloof behavior and he tried without much success to recall when exactly it had started. Ultimately he gave up contemplating the matter and assumed she was simply feeling uneasy without Aaron around to guide them.

He was grateful the Aura Guardian had insisted they take the overcoats as he resisted the urge to shiver when the wind tugged at his own dark ninja attire; the clothing was comfortable but the material was thin and not the best suited for cold weather. They had both opted to change out of their gifted formal wear before heading out, with their four Pokémon providing an effective mobile changing room.

Steven took a moment to glance around their surroundings. It seemed like in every direction, uninhabited plains stretched on for forever. The short, scrubby grasslands they had been traversing all morning however, suddenly gave way to a huge valley below with tall grass that probably reached their shoulders.

They had been hiking up a gradual incline for a long time, but Cynthia halted abruptly at the crest of the hill and gazed down at the valley with a careful scrutiny. Steven drew beside her and they both looked up when Skarmory and Togekiss called down a warning from their airborne surveillance.

Steven gave the valley a careful look as well, but nothing seemed strange to him; the tall grasses below merely swayed and glistened with the wind. "What do you suppose they're worried about?"

Cynthia shook her head with a frown, her one visible eye still scanning the field. Garchomp and Aggron stepped forward to inspect the situation as well, both growling with unease as they listened to their avian counterparts and sniffed the air with obvious suspicion.

Still, nothing seemed out of the ordinary to Steven. After just consulting the map moments ago and guessing that they were still heading north, it was clear to him that they would need to cross the valley. He could see the hills on the other side, although it would probably take them about an hour to traverse the long, thick grasses.

He was momentarily surprised when Aggron and Garchomp seemed to consult each other in a civil conversation before apparently coming to an agreement. Garchomp gave her master a deliberate nudge and then tossed her broad head to the right, indicating they go around the valley instead.

Steven received a similar warning from Aggron, causing him to meet Cynthia's sidelong gaze. "They want us to go around...?"

Steven shook his head to disagree. "That would take three times longer. According to the map, there's a town by the lake landmark that we should be able to reach before nightfall, but only if we hurry."

Cynthia's visible eye widened slightly in response. "An actual town?" The idea of spending the night in proper civilization seemed to spur her into making a decision and she started forward again. "Right, into the scary grass, then."

Steven moved to follow while Garchomp and Aggron both growled their displeasure but nonetheless trailed behind cautiously. Skarmory and Togekiss remained above, circling and watchful.