Chapter Eighteen - Regroup

Cynthia winced as she bent down to pick up her canteen, already feeling the effects of the recent melee and every little sore spot where she had been hit. The area where Aggron had exploded from the tall grass and had proceeded to thrash the wild Garchomp was strewn about with their supplies that had been strapped to his back.

Thankfully, they hadn't torn loose before then, or else they never would have been able to recover anything, since no one was keen on going back into that deadly field.

She was trying and failing to distract herself from dwelling on Steven's protective behavior. She allowed him to assume she was sulking about being protected, but the truth of the matter was that she actually didn't mind the gesture. Her issues lay elsewhere, like creeping shadows in the darkest corners of her mind; shadows she was not yet ready to confront.

It wasn't even the fact that he had taken a potentially life-threatening hit for her; any fellow champion worth their salt would likely make the same sacrifice. However, it was that he did so purely on impulse, without even thinking it through, that suddenly had her questioning her own heart and the whispering doubts therein.

"What a mess." Steven's voice jerked her out of her ruminations and she turned to see him shaking his head dismally as he surveyed the scattered supplies. He met her gaze with a frown. "I'm not so sure we can make it to town tonight as planned..."

Cynthia promptly looked away and moved to the next fallen object, wincing again as she did so; her left abdomen was unreasonably sore. "Nonsense, it won't take us that long to gather everything and we saved all that time flying over the field rather then walking through it."

"I don't think you understand. Aggron may have crossed that field in record time, but he won't be able to travel for at least a few hours," Steven replied, his frown deepening with concern as he watched her expression sour with pain. "Are you alright? I just remembered, you got hit pretty hard at one point..."

"I'm fine, just really sore, is all."

"Still, maybe you should take it easy and have Togekiss heal you, too?"

Wordlessly, tersely, Cynthia nodded and turned to walk over to where the Pokémon had gathered beneath a lone, large tree. Sleeping on the cold, hard ground again, she thought bitterly. Perhaps it was due to all the stress, fatigue, and the acute soreness in her side, but she actually felt like crying in frustration for the first time in years.

She didn't, of course, but the impulse was there. She felt better once she sat down next to Garchomp and the Munnas and sighed with relief once Togekiss bestowed a healing. The other Pokémon, with their proximity, all seemed to benefit from the Life Dew as well and simultaneously offered yips of thanks to the white avian.

Suddenly feeling much more relaxed and a little drowsy, Cynthia watched as Steven tried to gather up the scattered supplies alone, while trying not to use his injured arm. "Gar," she voiced with a sweet lilt, drawing the dragon's suspicious attention. "Will you please go help Steven? I don't think Aggron can move. You can leave the babies with me."

Garchomp let out a tired grumble but nonetheless got up and hummed at the Munnas to switch guardians; two went to Togekiss while the other one hovered over to Aggron. Before trudging over to the man, the dragon released a stern growl at her charges, as if to say, Behave while I'm gone.

Aggron's Munna perched on his head and cooed affectionately, causing him to raise one weary eyelid before responding with a yawn and a grunt.

Giving the metal beast a closer look, Cynthia could see the tension in his body despite seeming relaxed and laying on his stomach with his chin flat on the ground. His steel plates look thick, but maybe.., she contemplated before sidling closer and placing a gentle hand on his flank, which instantly drew his lethargic attention.