Chapter 14

-2019, Malta. (Just before the movie starts)-

*Noella's POV*

I tilted my head up, looking at the sun as laughed. It felt nice to have my boys back to me, at least for now. 

"Come on Nicky, I thought you were a better fighter than that?" I turned my head to look down at him before laughing at his face. 

At the sound of my laugh, I caught all the boys looking at me with a smile. I just smiled at them some more before helping the old man get to his feet. 

Things have been pretty great for me. Through the years I have improved exponentially as a fighter, finally being allowed to face the feared Andy. She funneled all of her knowledge into me, and while I may not be able to beat her, basically anyone else was up for grabs. I helped people, finally joining the group on their missions, serving not only as a warrior, but a healer. It felt nice to fix damage rather than cause it. I felt at peace knowing I am actively making the world a better place. 

I am finally comfortable with the team. We are a family. They were extremely patient with me. Sorting through all the pieces of me and slowing glueing them back together. My nightmares became less frequent, and my trust in them became unbreakable. I know that if I need anything, any one of them would sell their soul to get it for me. They are still far too overprotective, yet it bothers me less and less with every day. It's nice to have people that genuinely care for you. Even Andy has shown me all the sides of her, and like I told each and every one of them, nothing could have scared me off. Not after everything we have been through together. 

That didn't mean everything was always perfect. Time is tough, and it takes its toll on each person differently. 

Andy left just over a year ago. She needed time, for what I still don't understand. For me, I have always known that our time is meaningless without a purpose; we need it just as much as it needs us. The group kind of fractured during her absence. Booker started drinking more, sometimes not leaving a bar for days at a time. He has never said it directly, but Book needs Andy in a way that the rest of us don't, he crumbled faster without her. I would never tell him this but when he comes home, reeking of alcohol, he reminds me of the father I left behind in Moscow. Every time I see him like that I can't help but close off for days. 

Joe and Nicky retreated into the comfort of each other, often disappearing for days at a time, leaving me to worry about where all of my family went. They would take trips to different countries and help people as discreetly as possible. I think looking at the fragments of us that was left behind is worse than trying to piece it back together. 

The days I was alone were the worst, being alone with my thoughts was a special punishment of it's own. Maybe that's what these are: Punishments for allowing Andy to leave without much of a fight. We were meant to be together after all. I usually just tried to plot ways to mend the growing canyon between us all. When I find none, or my plan inevitably fails I'm back to my dark thoughts. It's become a never ending-cycle of disappointment.

Today was the first time the four of us had been together for months, doing something other than sulking. 

"That's enough of a beating for today. Besides, Nicky and I have a flight to catch soon." Joe said making sure his husband was okay. 

I sighed as I picked up the swords and tried not to let my disappointment show. I started walking them to the cases that we started storing them in. I really thought this would work. 

"Ya'll go ahead, I'm going to stay and practice. You guys have fun." I said emotionlessly and without turning around. Slightly fumbling with the latches as I started to load everything.