It's Going To Be Ok

I sit patiently. The only sound in the room was the tick of the clock in front of me. It was almost 11 am. I hated being here so early. What I want most is to lay down and try to get things back to normal.

I sit on the very left side of the small couch in the little room. I twirl my fingers together. I was always nervous while waiting.

Suddenly the sounds of voices could be heard outside the door. The handle opens, the voice getting louder. My new therapist, Mrs. Richford, walks in with a smile. "Good morning," she says cheerfully. I give her a fake smile. It's nearly noon.

She sits almost directly in front of me. Normally she has a pair of glasses, but today she wasn't wearing them. She was pretty young, maybe early 30s. She has brownish hair that she swung into a ponytail every time so far before talking. She starts wrapping her hair up, looking down at a paper. I assumed it was notes about me.

"So, how are you feeling today?" She asks, finally finishing with her hair. She looks at me with a big smile. She always knows how to put a cheerful persona on. I never bothered faking anything.

I stare at her feet. Why do we always have to start with this question?

"I'm fine," I say quietly. This was only the 3rd session with her. Even if I was comfortable with her yet, I wouldn't want to tell her a thing. I hate doing this. Every second. I've never seen the point of it.

I look up. She was staring at me, nodding. "Ok, but I need you to be honest, Jacey. I'm only here to help." She smiles again, tilting her head a bit.

I sigh and almost roll my eyes. I lean more to the side, staring at the floor.  I rest my head on my knuckle. "Honestly, I wish I was anywhere but here, so I guess you could say I'm not the happiest." I clench my jaw.

"And that's ok, really. I know it's all new to you," she explains. "I also know that you'll start to love it," she chuckles.

I look at her, giving a weak smile.

"How have you been sleeping?" She asks, clicking her pen and looking at me.

I take a deep breath again. "Umm," I look at the clock. Fuck. It's only been 7 minutes. "I could sleep better. But I'm ok."

She nods, quickly writing something down. "Ok and what do you think about often?"

I look at her, sitting straighter. I clear my throat before answering. "Uhh, just," I gulp. I knew exactly what I thought about. Just get it out of your head.

"I think a lot about what I and... and Emma had to.. is going through," I stutter. I hated to think about it but I couldn't help myself. It was horrible. A lump comes up in my throat suddenly.

I look at Mrs. Richford, my eyebrows furrowed. Suddenly I felt so anxious. I never opened up about any of this yet.

She looks at me and nods. Shit, I have to keep going.

"I-I feel like... like I'm the reason she's still stuck, or even dead." My throat starts to burn. Tears form around my eyes. I gulp painfully and blink them away. She gives me a sympathetic look.

"Why am I the one who got out? W-Why am I the one who got that chance? It's not fair," I start to choke up.

"Jacey, we don't have to talk more about this if you don't want to. I want you to be comfortable. I don't want you to feel like you have to say anything, ok? You're safe now," She reaches out and rubs my shoulder. I look at her and uncontrollably sob.

Her hand stays on my shoulder.

"I-I wish that I n-never took her for g-granted. She's p-probably going through s-so much pain, and I can't d-do anything. I've never f-felt worse about a-anything," I choke out. I couldn't believe how hard I was crying. I've never thought about how bad this was for Emma. My chest was weak. I couldn't keep my hands off my face. I was embarrassed to be crying in front of this lady.

"You don't know w-what I went through. I-it was a l-living hell."

Her hand still stays on my shoulder. I look up at her, my eyes feeling heavy.

"Why t-the fuck am I here? W-why haven't they found her? I-I just want her back. I don't w-want her to keep g-getting hurt by that fucking m-monster anymore." I tremble. The gravity of it all was weighing on me.

She grabs my hand. I stare into her eyes.

"None of it is your fault," she shakes her head. I was refraining from crying more.

"You shouldn't have to worry-" I interrupt her quickly.

"How the hell can I not worry?" I almost exclaim. I look at Mrs. Richford almost shocked. I let out another loud cry. "You have n-no idea how fucking a-alone I've been," I cry out with my face in my arms. I could barely breathe. "I miss her c-calls, and h-hanging out, and I m-miss her company. I miss everything. She w-was all I had. My only b-best friend."

I close my eyes and try to regain what peace I had.

After a few minutes of calming silence, I was basically done sobbing. I couldn't stop sniffling though. I felt much better, but I didn't want to say more. I looked up at the clock. Just 20 minutes had passed by.

"Jacey, I need you to trust everyone."

I look down from the clock to her eyes. "What do you mean?" I say softly.

"Trust the police, the investigators, trust everyone," she stares sincerely.

I shake my head. "I don't trust anyone. I-I got out, and she didn't-" I stop myself with a gulp, almost feeling like I was going to cry again. "I don't want to talk about it please."

Mrs. Richford nods. She looks at the paper and writes more things down. I sit awkwardly waiting until she was done.

"Well Jacey, I think we made great progress today. It's always good to get your emotions out."

She stands up. I follow immediately after.

Her arms reach out to me for a hug. I hesitantly give her a hug back. I still didn't like being touched. It made me uncomfortable, but this felt nice. I melt into the hug. It was almost the first time I got any affection since Michael.

"It's going to be ok," she says quietly. I nod and pull out of the hug.

"Thank you," I smile, her giving a small smile back.

I walk out of the room. My dad was sitting on the chair in the waiting area. I walk down the hall slowly to him. I catch eyes with him. He gives me a small, fake grin. "C'mon. We don't want to keep your mother waiting. You know how much she hates waiting for these things," he sighs. I look at him and back down. He acts so strange lately.

When he's finished paying for the session, we walk out. He looks down at me for a second.

I open the door to the back of the car, sitting on the side behind the passenger. My mom was already sitting there.

"Hey hun," she says. She looks at me using the rear view mirror. I give her a small smile. She looks back at me as my dad gets in the car. "How'd it go?" She says as she turns to look at me. Her face changes completely as she clicks her tongue sadly. "Aww, you look all red. Did you cry in there?" She wonders.

I shake my head. "No, it's just a little early. I'm just... tired." I sigh, looking out the window.

"You can sleep all you want when you're back home," my dad says with a fake smile. I look back out the window as he pulls out back onto the small road. Everyone has been treating me differently. All I want is normalcy. It feels like nothing will ever be the same.