A Gift For Your Mother

I find myself stopped and parked right in front of her. She has a friend with her. Maybe it's a little too risky to try. I really need her alone, but when it comes down to this, it's always worth a shot.

"Worth a shot? I'll get so busted!" I exclaim over the phone. I hear Jacey laugh on the other end.

"Your parents don't pay attention to anything," she says. I take a deep breath and stare at the clock. "It's literally 10:00, Jace. I'm not walking to your house," I roll my eyes.

"Fine then. Be lonely in your creepy, cold house when you can be hanging out with your best friend who really wants to chill," she says, annoyed. I furrow my eyebrows and bite my cheek.

"I would, really, but, it's just," I stop and look down, listening to the silence on the other end. I sigh. "Remember that guy that stopped us yesterday? And wanted help with his bumper?"

It goes silent for a few seconds. "Yeah," she says quietly. I stop and think about it. The aura and mood when that happened just wasn't right. He was insisting that I help with his car. And no one else was out to help? It just seemed, how do I put it? Kidnappish.

"That same guy, Michael I think, honked at me last week and I didn't think much of it," I say. "I swear he's the same person I've been seeing recently."

"Maybe your just paranoid?" She says quietly. I nod, aware that she isn't able to see it. But it was for me. For me believe the first option so I could stop going crazy over it. It felt like that was the best conclusion to jump to. My stomach turns when I think about the bumper stop once again. I forgot the most important detail of it.

"Jacey, when he drove off," I say quietly. I start feeling uneasy. "My eyes caught the bumper which was untouched."

"Jesus. Maybe you really should be careful," she says on the other end. I take a deep breath.

"I don't think I can come over," I say, looking down slightly. My eyes curve up sadly. "I'm sorry."

The phone hangs up and I just drop it. I know Jacey didn't mean for the call to end so quickly, and I was sending mixed messages, right?

I close my eyes and drop down on my back with an oomf. I feel tired and "out of it". I try to keep my mind off Michael, but with no luck. I just couldn't get his stare out of my mind. His eyes, so dark and mysterious yet so trusting and dangerous.

Just as I sit up, I hear a tapping on my window. I pause and slowly look to my right. It was pitch black outside so I really couldn't see anything.

I felt really vulnerable and anxious because of my previous thoughts. Maybe it's the tree leaves hitting it. Yeah, that's it.

Another tap.

I furrow my eyebrows curiously. I get off my bed and open my window just a little. I wanted to find out who or what was tapping,

I put my hand out, but I didn't feel a breeze. I felt a little uncomfortable. The tapping didn't continue, so I pull my hand in, shutting and locking the window. I still felt uneasy.

I turn off the lights, walking back to my bed. I tuck myself under my blanket, trying my best to feel safe. Then, the window taps as if on cue. I gulp and turn to my left. The taps continue, slow and loud. I close my eyes tightly. Eventually I do feel enough at peace to fall asleep, and I wake up to knocking on the front door.

"Hey, remember me?"

I stop frozen in my tracks. My body stops moving and feels as if I shut down. My eyes stay stiffly on his.

He stands and raises his eyebrows with an awkward smile. "Um, well, I was just wondering if your mother was here?" He asks. His eyes search behind me before he catches my eyes again, which haven't moved a bit.

I shake my head. "She's, uh, at work," I reply. I immediately regret saying anything about her. This guy was sketchy as hell.

"Oh, that's ok. I just needed to talk to her," he leans on the doorframe, coming closer with a simple grin smeared on his face. "Emma, is it?"

I drop my eyebrows and bite my lip. "Yeah," I say. He nods.

"You mother tells me a lot about you, or as much as you can tell in a short conversation," he laughs to himself. I chuckle out a fake giggle. "You're 16, almost 17, no siblings, and your apparently very good in school." I raise my eyebrows and smile nervously.

"Yeah, I guess," I reply. He laughs and looks down, coming closer, if that's even possible. I smell his fresh, minty breath. He looks down at me and slowly looks back up, catching my eyes. My face goes as white as a ghost from his stare. I look away and curse myself.

"When do you think your mother is going to be back?" He asks out of the blue, looking back out to the street. I shrug, taking a small step away for room. Our lips were 6 inches away amd it was uncomfortable.

He nods and steps back, eventually reaching the porch. He waves before I see him turn the corner. I stand confused before being interpreted.

"I forgot to tell you! I brought something for your mother but she's not here. Would you mind taking it in for me? It's just in the trunk," he says smiling. He raises his eyebrows and stands back, his hands signaling for me to go first.

I felt a bit uncomfortable, and something was still off about this guy. I don't want to be rude so I hop down the step and walk slowly to his car, checking him behind me. I hear his footsteps follow close behind. I turn around, catching him eyeing the street. I stop at his trunk, pulling it open.

"Hey, theres no-," A hand wraps around my mouth tightly. My eyes go wide and I stand still in shock. My breathing goes choppy once I feel the head of a pistol touch the side of my forehead. The click rings in my ear.

"Make a sound and I'll kill you," he says softly in my ear. I flinch as his warm breath hits my cheek. I feel a smile grow on his face.

Just as fast as I'm caught, I'm thrown in a trunk. I catch a stare with him as soon as he slams the back. My eyes felt like they were popping out my head from the darkness and fear. My heart was racing and I was paralyzed. My body keeps shaking as I try to catch my breath.

I close my eyes, attempting to escape from the pain that was beginning to grow in my heart, just to be welcomed with his demented smile burned into my vision. I open them, realizing there really is no real escape. I'm kidnapped.