Love to Kill You

The chirp of a bird echos loudly through my head. It almost sounded dreamy. I lay still, quickly figuring out that I was waking up. My eyes flutter open. I gasp and jolt up. I look around with wide eyes. What the hell?

I was in my own bed, in my own room. Everything was untouched. Just how I had left it. I was frozen, shocked.

My desk still had my backpack sitting against it. My homework and coloring books were sitting on top of it, half finished. All the pencils I was coloring with remained where I put them.

I look down at my arms, which had seemingly gotten thicker. The huge slash in my wrist was gone. Normal, no bruises. Not even a mark.

I look closely at everything, confused as to how I got here.

It was quiet and peaceful, but I still didn't understand.

I get up, expecting to feel dizzy and weak. But I didn't. I stood with no pain or aching. I look down at my legs and feet. They were perfect. I didn't look thin anymore. I take a deep breath.

I curl my toes against the soft carpet. I haven't felt anything like this in forever.

I walk towards my door, opening it slowly. I look down the hall. The silence was almost piercing. Everything was still the same as I remembered.

I turn to the bathroom, the cold tile stinging my feet. I flick the light on, flinching at the brightness. I rub my eyes as I look into the mirror.

I stare at myself in shock. My skin was perfect. My hair was clean and long again. I touch my cheek. It was the smoothest I've felt in a long time. Was that all a dream?

"Mom?" I call out as I skip down the stairs. I turn to the left, waiting for an answer.

"Yes?" I hear her voice call from the livingroom.

I jog to where she was, a huge smile on my face. I see her sitting on the couch, watching something on TV.

I run and hug her quickly. I start to tear up as my face rests on her shoulder. Her hug was so warm and I felt so happy and loved.

Her arms wrap around me as she chuckles. "What's going on, Emma?" She says happily.

"I missed you," I say quietly, staying in the hug. "So much."

She pulls from me a bit, just enough to look at me. "Are you ok?" She laughs as she pauses the TV. "That must've been a really good nap." She rubs my arm. I take a breath of relief.

"Yeah... yeah it must've been," I say as I wipe my tears.

I couldn't help but smile. There were no words for how much I missed all of this. I haven't felt anything like this for so long. I close my eyes and take another deep breath as I stand up.

I walk to the kitchen, looking back at my mom. She laughed again at the TV. I smile. I never knew what I missed until it was gone.

As I look around the kitchen, I hear footsteps. Familiar.

I furrow my eyebrows and turn around to where the sound was coming from. The steps were coming closer. But no one was there.

My heart starts to beat quickly. It was Michael's steps.

"Hello?" I choke out. My chest felt heavy and shaky.

I look frantically everywhere. The steps come closer. And louder. I begin to panic.

"Please... leave me alone," I say worriedly. I keep rapidly looking around for him.

I run back to where my mom was, just to see she was frozen in place. I open my mouth in shock. The sounds of his foot steps terrorize my mind as my heart beats louder and louder.

Suddenly, a strange sensation of cold air hits my face.

I gasp and wake up again. I was out of breath. I look around, just to see the ground of the camp again, and nothing but the sky. Everything around me was soaked. I couldn't take in everything that was happening.

I turn slowly to look to my right. I see Michael.

A wave of disappointment and anger washes over me as I realize my situation. None of that was real. I can't believe it.

He had a bucket at his feet, which was all I could easily see. Things felt dizzy.

"You scared the shit out of me!" He exclaims. He walks towards the front tire of his car, kicking it as hard as he could with a grunt. I jolt a bit. I felt so weak. I couldn't believe any of this.

I turn my eyes to look forward. I was laying on my back, my arms sprawled out. I was freezing as the wind was blowing against the cold water he splashed on me. My clothes were soaked and wet now, too.

I sit up, pushing myself up as much as I could. I groan from the pain of eveything. I remember him beating me really bad. I felt horribly weak.

My ankles were tied together with a rope that was wrapped around a large tree in front me. I let out a small sigh as I notice it.

I lay back down and stare up to the sky. I pull my arms up to my chest and hug myself. I close my eyes, soaking up the small amount of sun and taking in the fresh air. I just wanted to forget about the dream. I didn't want to hold on to false hope.

Of course, nothing nice lasts that long.

I feel a slight kick to the side of my chest. I open my eyes. Micheal was looking straight down at me with a face as cold as stone.

"Where'd you go?" He teases. I look away, dropping my head to look to the left of me. I've given up on everything.

He keeps looking at me. "Well?"

I turn to stare at him again.

"I was home," I reluctantly and slowly answer, my throat beginning to hurt and shake. "I saw my mom. A-and I hugged her," I say quietly.

He smiles and lets out a booming laugh as he towers above me. I watch and get ready for his insults. Nothing he could say can hurt me anymore.

"I can't lie Emma, that's funny," he erupts in laughter again. I hear his footsteps trail further as he stumbles off behind me, his laughing becoming short and choppy. "It's almost like you think you'll get home alive."

He comes back to stare at me, his shadow covering half my body. I hadn't moved.

He looks down. "Do you believe that?" He asks softly.

I stare at him, switching from eye to eye. A huge lump was forming in my throat. My eyes were beginning to water. "I do."

I see him take a deep breath as his eyes continue to burn through mine.

"You really think I wouldn't absolutely love to kill you, Emma?" He says softly again. His hands still sat on his knees as he was bent over to threaten me.

I let the words sink in.

Love to kill you.

But for the first time in a long time, they barely effected me. I was ready to die. I didn't wanna live like this anymore. He'll kill me anyways.

He makes a sarcastic frown as he tilts his head at me. "Aww, little Emma is sad. She won't see her mom again, hm?" He scoffs. "No more Jacey?" He shakes his head. "Maybe you can see them in heaven when they die in 50 years. Can you wait that long?"

I watch as he walks off, kicking a bit of dirt onto me.

I roll my head to the side again.

I didn't want to wait that long. I loved them. And I really missed them. What am I thinking? I want to live.

I think about my dream. It was wonderful. I was home, really home. It was everything to me. I can't give up.