FOURTEEN

Julia swam towards the glow at the bottom of the lake, there it was. The gate. It was glowing red and shadows seemed to be moving behind the weird skin-looking layer. She slowly stuck out her hand and touched the gate, even with it being underwater it still felt slimy. Julia swallowed and then pushed herself through the gate.

She landed on a hard surface, she wasn't underwater anymore, she could breath. Julia slowly opened her eyes, she recognized the lake, only there was no Lover's Lake. The lake was empty and she was standing in the bottom of it. The ground was covered in slowly moving vines and the sky glowed red, in the air weird dust particles whirled. It was cold and she was soaking wet. Her eyes fell onto Robin and Nancy, they too where looking around and quickly noticed her presence. Robin helped her up as Eddie came through the gate behind her.

Eddie was muttering some nonsense as he quickly ran over to his friends. A scream pulled their attention, it was Steve. They all ran towards the sounds.

Steve was laying on the ground, his arms and legs frantically moved around as some weird bat looking birds were attacking his stomach. One of the animals had its tail around Steve's neck, as he tried to claw the animal away while struggling to breath.

Nancy was the first to react, she quickly picked up an oar and hit one of the animals, hard.

"Hi there." She said before getting to the rest of the animals. Eddie grabbed the other oar and started swinging away while Julia and Robin began kicking the weird looking things.

"Kill it, Kill it!" Robin yelled at Nancy as she stood on the tail of one of the animals.

A loud rawr sounded as many other bats came flying. The group grunted as each of them tried to fight off the animals.

"Watch out!" Eddie yelled as one of the animal attacked Nancy, who was still trying to get the bat, around Steve's neck, to let go.

Julia ran over to help but a bat came flying her way as well, she didn't have an oar like the others so she tried to punch the animal. The thing flew over to her and grabbed a hold of her hand. Julia squealed a she was trow back and hit the ground.

Robin was still trying to get the animal to let go of Nancy and Eddie hit whatever flying thing he could reach. Steve was finally able to get the animal around his throat to let go and grabbed it by its tail. He stood up and started, repeatedly, swinging the thing to the ground.

Julia was finally able to get, somewhat, upright after a lot of rolling around on the ground whilst fighting the thing. The animal was balled up in her fist and was clawing at her arm, Julia winched in pain as she quickly began punching the ground and thereby punching the animal.

Robin finally got the animal off Nancy's back and threw it to the ground. Nancy quickly took the oar and hit the animal.

"GO TO HELL!" She yelled as she killed it.

Eddie's oar had broken in half, with the jagged side he was swinging about. "COME ON!" He yelled as one of the animals came flying at him. Eddie held up the broken oar and impaled the animal, finally killing it.

"LET. GO. YOU. PIECE. OF. SHIT.!" Julia yelled with each punch, before finally the animal gave out and let go of her arm. Julia fell back breathing heavily and looked over at her arm, there were many cuts and bites.

"Little shit." She muttered.

Steve, who had been repeatedly swinging the animal to the ground, swung one last time before stepping on it and tearing off one of its wings. He spat out some blood as he threw the remains of the animal away.

The group, all heavily breathing looked around.

"Steve!" Nancy yelled as she ran over to him.

"Jesus Christ." Steve breathed.