Hair Of the Dog (Layne Staley x Jerry Cantrell)

Success was supposed to taste sweet, but Alice Chains' success was bitter. The constant backlash from the media affected all the members of Alice in Chains, but it was the two most well-known of the group, Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell, who took most of the criticism. They had what a therapist might call an "unhealthy coping mechanism," which in their case was the continuous abuse of drugs and alcohol.  

"Hey, man," Layne said to Jerry after getting out of the shower. 

Jerry laughed at the women who were flooding out of the shower room after Layne. 

"Got any plans for tonight?" Layne asked, grinning at Jerry. 

"I mean not really, but it's clear you do," Jerry said, looking over at the girls who were now leaving the backstage area. 

"Well, I was thinking you and I could maybe go to the bar and have some fun there," Layne suggested. 

"Woah, Layne Staley the famous ass rockstar guy wants to hang out with me?" Jerry said, sarcastically. 

"Oh shut the fuck up, and just come on," Layne replied. 

- - -

The next day Jerry woke up to a familiar sensation of discomfort in his stomach. 

Layne was crashed on the floor about 4 feet away from him. 

"Layne, I don't feel so good," Jerry said, gently trying to wake him up. 

Layne laughed, still half asleep, "Yeah, man, to be honest I wouldn't feel too good if I went as bozonkers as you did last night."

Jerry shook his head, trying to remember what Layne was talking about. He didn't remember anything about the previous night. 

"You might need to take the hair of the dog," Layne suggested. 

"Dude if I ingest anything I'm going to reject immediately," Jerry said, holding his stomach, and wincing as Layne turned the lights on.  

Layne tiredly reached towards a leftover bottle of whiskey. "Just one shot should do the trick," Layne said, as he poured it into the glass. 

Jerry held his breath as the whiskey stung his throat. "Fuck, man," he whimpered. 

"Oh wait I might have some tylenol or something," Layne said, digging around for the bottle he usually carried with him. He pulled it out of his pocket. "Take some," he said, tossing it to Jerry. Jerry downed the pill and sat there, as he felt the singular shot of whiskey take away his pain almost instantly. 

Just then Layne and Jerry both heard the rumbling engine of the band's car. 

Sean and Mike barged in through the door. 

"Well you look like... hell," Mike said as he looked at Jerry. 

"I felt like hell, but I'm surprisingly okay now," Jerry said. 

"Good, the show's in one hour," Sean said. 

"What?" Jerry asked, looking over at Layne with surprise. 

"Yeah, now get in the shower, and don't be so bozonkers tonight," Layne said, snickering. 

- - - 

Something short, but it's something. Sorry for the delay in writing! I've been so busy and have really been lacking motivation lately, but I hope ya'll like this a lot :) Leave some comments for me if you have them. XO XO