Esther sequel tense scene (spoilers)

I entered the room with a new bottle in hand, nonchalantly closing the door behind me, catching sight of my husband at the far end of the room by the cradle.

"Hey, (Hero), can you feed the baby real quick?" I asked. When no response came right away, I repeated myself. "Hero. Can you..." My words trailed off when my husband's head turned, eyes glaring at me from over his shoulder. "He-... Hero..?" Such a foreign, stern look was on his face... It was no surprise I nearly stopped walking entirely, preferring my own safety over the conversation.

But wait- the baby!

"A- a- are you that...other one?" I asked nervously. I had only seen this alter of sorts seldom before...and he tried to kill me. My wings slid further behind my back and I made myself appear smaller and less threatening. As little threatening as possible so I could slowly approach the two without getting chased off or anything. The man didn't respond. He just stood there stiffly, now facing me directly. It was definitely strange wrapping my head around the idea that this absolute stranger could seemingly at any time be allowed control over my own husband's body...

(Avery) began to cry softly. I continued to approach slowly. Surprisingly, the man let me, though he kept close watch, especially on my tense wings just barely visible to him. When I was finally within seven feet of the cradle, the man reacted to my being here. I jumped when he so suddenly moved. However, when my feathers settled, I realized all he had done was step in-between me and the baby. He stared me down still with those untrusting eyes of his. Avery started to cry for me a little louder, anticipating her hunger to be met once she heard the sound of my voice. I gulped, staring up now into the eyes of my own husband who wasn't letting me feed his own child.

"Hero- or..whatever your name is.. I need to feed her! She's hungry!" I protested. Still, he was completely unresponsive. Though I could feel the anger building up inside of me, I kept my cool, took in a new deep breath, and thought of a new approach. "She's my baby too... I promise I won't hurt her..okay?" I asked, begging with big puppy eyes. The ones Hero could never resist. Though the man did not respond for a while, I could see the gears in his head start to turn when his eyes shifted between my innocent appearance, the bottle in my hands, and the crying baby behind him.

Huffing lowly, the man stepped a little to the side, allowing me passage. I kept my distance as I maneuvered around him over to Avery. Finally able to hold the little one tightly in my arms, I kissed her forehead and whispered nothing but comforting words to her. My eyes never left the still stranger, who just as diligently studied every one of my minor movements. I then held Avery close to me in my arms as I fed her, standing now on the opposite side of the cradle from Hero. There was no room for me to back away any further, since a wall and window were the only things directly behind me.

As I fed the baby, I noticed the man's tense shoulders slowly drop as he calmed down some. He no longer appeared so on edge. That, in turn, helped me too calm down some in his presence.

"So...why are you..here...?" I asked, knowing he wouldn't really answer me. The silence was just a little stuffy. Usually Hero and I would be casually chatting at this point about whatever came to our minds. The man's gaze rose from the baby to me again, and as I predicted, he only stared. "You know... um. You don't have to be so scared of us..you know. Us Falks...don't really want to hurt you anymore..." Hero huffed a low breath, then, when I began to pat Avery's back after feeding her, stuck both of his hands out open for her. I was almost taken aback by the sight. Even though he was still for the most part almost completely expressionless, his pure intentions were made clear through his eyes; softer than before.

I stepped back a little, though, bumping into the wall. "N-no.. I'm sorry, b-bu-but you can't hold her." An ounce of fear crept into my withdrawn voice. His brows furrowed; something that terrified me. He stuck his hands out further. Demanding, this time. When I still refused to hand her over, I felt a tug from Avery herself. Horrified, my arms fought against an invisible force pulling her from me. Eventually, I had to let go for fear of crushing her, and my little baby glided over the cradle into her somewhat father's arms.