Running After Her

Jake took a final glance in the bathroom mirror, adjusting the waves in his hair that just wouldn't go where he wanted them. After several failed attempts, he sighed and gave up. He only had fifteen minutes to make it to Rose's before she left at noon. Hastily tying up his sneakers, Jake hurried out the front door and a gust of wind caught the door, slamming it behind him.

"Keep it down," Will groaned from the couch.

"There's coffee on the counter," Jake laughed, poking his head in the front window. "Make a cup and eat something - I told you last night that you were going to regret those extra shots."

"Show-off," Will grunted.

"I'll be back in a bit," Jake tossed his keys in the air, catching them with one hand.

"Good luck!" Will shouted.

It was a beautiful day - crisp and clear, but his thick varsity jacket cut the worst of the chill. Bob Seger was playing on the radio and Jake turned up the volume, tapping along as he drove over the bridge.

As he drifted onto Rose's street, Jake was surprised to see her driveway empty. Normally her little blue car was parked right in the middle. Pulling up to the curb, he put the Mustang in park and climbed out. She wasn't at any of the houses down the street and it didn't look like anyone was home. Puzzled, Jake decided to knock on the door. Maybe she had just gone over to Gail's before heading out.

He rapped three times on the peeling door. When no one answered, he knocked again and cursed - a tiny sliver had wedged itself in his knuckle. A grunting and shuffling from inside told him that someone was coming to the door. He took a deep breath as it opened.

"What do you want?" A tired-looking woman peered out from behind the screen. Her thin hair fell in limp waves around her face.

"Is Rose still here?" he asked.

"You missed her," the woman said, glassy-eyed. Jake decided he must have woken her up.

"She left?" he frowned.

"Went to see that friend of hers first." The woman dug a crinkled cigarette from her pocket and lit it.

Jake turned quickly and ran back down the driveway. If she was at Gail's, he could probably still catch her. He sped through the residential street and turned the corner onto Gail's quiet, tree-lined road. Two cars were parked in the driveway but neither of them was Rose's. Jake got out of the car and walked up the carefully trimmed path to the door, knocking. Light, quick footsteps pattered to the door and Gail poked her face around the doorframe.

"You're too late," she said sadly.

"What's going on, Gail?" he frowned. "Will said you told him Rose was leaving today. I was just at her house but she wasn't there. I thought she was stopping here first."

"She is," Gail bit her lip. "I mean, she did."

"What do you mean, 'she did?'" Jake demanded.

"Jake, I'm sorry," Gail cried. "When I told Will about her leaving, she was still planning on going at noon. It wasn't until this morning that she changed her mind. Danny and I were already there helping her pack and she just decided to head out a few hours early. I tried to convince her to wait a bit longer but I didn't know if you were coming so I couldn't say why I wanted her to wait."

"She's really gone?" Jake whispered.

"I'm sorry," Gail whispered.

"It's not your fault," Jake sighed. "I thought about coming over last night but I just ..."