Two

I walked into my bedroom, my wet hair dripping onto my bare shoulders. I looked through my closet to find a shirt to wear. U had several choices, most of which had been cut in half. I settled on two to decide from, looking back and forth between them, when I saw my phone light up. I grabbed it and saw a text from Shayne on the lock screen.

Shayne - Hey, Dummy. Got any plans for today?

Courtney - Nah, I'm free. Why do you ask, Stupid?

Shayne - Damien and Saige were wondering if you wanted to come with us and hang out. You down?

Courtney - Yeah! Sounds like fun! What, were you not wondering too?

Shayne - Like I would.

Courtney - Fuck you.

Shayne - :)))))))

I let a laugh escape my lips. That kind of conversation wasn't at all abnormal between the two of us. We had a lot of these conversations, especially through the Defy shutdown. He was the one who was there for me the most. Even though I didn't admit it verbally, I missed talking to him in person when Covid hit. Luckily, I've had that chance since we got back to in person working.

I decided on an outfit and eventually got the time we were meeting out of Shayne. I headed to our meeting spot downtown and found Shayne standing there alone.

"Oh, great, just the person I wanted to see," I sarcastically said. He greeted me with a very loving middle finger. "Still waiting on the lovebirds?"

"Have been for fifteen minutes," he sighed. "I'm starting to wonder whether or not they actually wanted to come or stayed home in bed."

"Come on, they're a couple," I said, leaning my back against the building next to Shayne. "Couples need their time alone, you know?"

"Sure, sure," he scoffed.

"Speaking of love lives," I glanced over at Shayne who looked towards me in response to my words. "Got anyone in your bed lately?"

"Just me and this massive ass."

"Oh, shut up." I smacked his muscly arm lightly in response to his quip. It wasn't surprising he said something like that considering who he is. "I meant other people, Dumbass."

"In terms of that, no. Not since my relationship years ago," he shrugged. I felt kinda bad for him, he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would have trouble getting girls. "Why are you so curious about who gets in my bed anyway?"

"Just wondering. I've had the same luck as you honestly. Maybe our show was right about us being bad at dating."

"Yeah," he laughed. A few minutes passed and the couple finally arrived. They walked towards us hand in hand and laughing. Shayne leaned towards me. "Could they be more in love?"

I laughed at his comment as the duo approached us.

"Hey, you two. What's happening?" Damien asked.

"Not much. Was wondering when you two would show up," Shayne replied. "Get stuck in traffic or were you a little distracted?"

"Get out of here, Dude!" Damien laughed, trying to ignore the current conversation Shayne started. All Saige did was blush and laugh.

"Alright, alright," I said. "So, you guys got any plans for our day out?"

"Yeah, actually," Saige walked towards me pulling out her phone and bringing up a tab in her web browser. "There's a sale at this gaming store right down the road and Damien and I wanted to check it out. Maybe we could find a few games for our Twitch audiences."

"Makes sense."

"Yeah, and I decided to tag along because I've been wanting to increase my game library, you know," Shayne said. "So, why don't we get going?"

The four of us made our way down the sidewalk and eventually into the store. Saige and Damien flew towards the games on sale while I kept to myself looking at merchandise. I looked over to see Shayne watching one of those demo machines like a kid watching TV.

"Unlocking childhood memories, Shania?" I asked, walking over and standing next to him moving my own gaze to the screen.

"Yeah. I remember messing with this thing when I was younger," he said with a certain nostalgic smile on his face. "Man, those days were fun."

"Right?" I laughed. "So, you find anything worthy enough for your shelf?"

"Nothing that interests me unfortunately. What about you?"

"I've just been hanging around the keychains and stuff," I shrugged. "Not much else I can buy when it comes to The Sims."

"Fair."

After about another eight minutes, Damien and Saige approached us with a few things in their hands.

"Got enough stuff?" Shayne asked, a sarcastic tone in his voice.

"Listen, Man, we're gamers," Damien said.

"Say no more."

"We're done here. What about you guys?" Saige asked, handing her things off to Damien who took them to the counter.

"Yeah. Oh, hey, there's this great place nearby that sells some amazing desserts," I said. "Why don't we head there?"

"Ooh! I'm so in!" Saige grabbed my hands in excitement and smiled widely. "What about you guys?"

"Yeah, why not?" Shayne shrugged.

"I'm down," Damien handed the very bored looking store clerk a credit card and looked back at us. "It'll be a nice change of pace to have something cold on a hot day like today."

The four of us walked out of the game store and headed down to the dessert place I suggested. Saige and I sat at a table while the boys ordered our desserts.

"Hey, Courtney, I've got a question," Saige inquired, putting her chin on the back of her hands, her elbows resting on the tabletop. "What exactly is going on between you and Shayne?"

"Huh?"