Nine

I sighed heavily as I slumped into the couch with my laptop resting on my legs. I just finished a script for a sketch and I'm honestly just feeling wiped out from today's filming.

"Never did I think I'd miss being sick," I thought to myself. "At least then I could lay around and do nothing with an excuse."

"Hey, Courtney," Patrick walked in and looked down at me. "How's the script writing going?"

"Pretty good actually," I replied.

"Nice! Mind if I take a look at it?" He asked, sitting down next to me. I sat myself up and handed him the laptop. He read it over a bit and nodded. "Looking good. Nice work!"

"Thanks," I smiled. From around the corner, Shayne walked by and glanced over at us.

"Oh, there you are, Patrick," he said. "Jeremy wanted to see you about something."

"Oh, alright," he stands up and walks past him. "See you two around."

"So, what were you guys talking about?" Shayne asked.

"Huh? Oh, uh, just some script stuff, you know," I shrugged. I looked up at him and quickly back down at my pants. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious. Hey, are you busy tonight?"

"B-busy? Uh, no! No, I'm not busy. Why?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to come out to eat tonight," he said. My heart was pounding so much. I was trying to keep my cool but it started to get difficult.

"Oh, uh, yeah! I'd love to!"

"Awesome. The squad wanted to hang out so if you've got other things we could do, let us know," he said. Suddenly, my fast beating heart had fallen. I managed to keep my disappointment hidden with a smile.

"O-oh, yeah. I'll let you know."

"Cool. I'll see you later then," he walked away, waving at me as he did. I waved back and slumped back into the couch.

"Dammit. I...I mean, hanging out with the squad is nice but...I kinda wish it was just me and him..."

"Oh, yeah?" Olivia's voice startled me. She stood on the other side of the couch with a smile on her face. "You want to spend alone time with who?"

"I didn't realize I said that out loud," I tried to hide my embarrassment with my hand. "But, uh..."

"Don't worry, Courtney. To be fair, I already knew you liked him," she said, sliding over to sit next to me. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders. "Though I think everyone knows"

"That obvious?" I asked, knowing the answer anyway. "Look, I know that expression. I'm not going to join in on any strange plans you may formulate."

"No, no! Listen, this plan is not at all strange!"

"That's what you said last time. And the time before that too."

"Okay, okay, but this is DIFFERENT! Your relationship is on the line! Do you realize what this means?"

"Uh...no."

"You and Shayne, or I suppose I should say Shartney, will FINALLY be a thing!" She grabbed my shoulders and put her face close to mine. "This is, like, a dream come true!"

"Uh, your dream, Liv."

"Not just mine but also the fans'! Come on, don't tell me you DON'T want to be with him!"

"No, I do! It's just...I don't see it happening," even saying it out loud hurt me. I knew it was true yet...

"Because you're waiting for him, Courtney!" She said loudly.

"H-huh?"

"You're waiting for him to make the first move! You know guys, they don't do that kind of thing often! And, I mean, this is Shayne we're talking about."

"So, what, are you saying I should ask him out?"

"DUH! Though you don't want to make it too obvious, do you?"

"Uh, it's Shayne. I should be as obvious as I can if I want his attention."

"Okay, fair enough. Look, I've got an idea that has a very high chance of working. We'll begin phase one of Operation: Shartney tonight! What do you say?"

"Well, you did go through the trouble of naming this plan so I guess I HAVE to join you."

"Yes! You won't regret it!"

A ring emanates from her pocket and she checks her phone.

"Oh, it's Sam. I'll see you later, Court!" She walks away while answering her phone. I just kinda sat there in silence the whole time.

Me and Shayne? Could it...really happen? I...I don't know. I shouldn't get my hopes up really. I mean, this is a plan that Olivia came up with and I don't know the logistics of it. Guess I'll just have to see when the time comes, huh?