Eight

"Thanks, Ian," I said to him through the phone.

"It's no problem at all. Take as long as you need to feel better, okay?" He replied. "See you."

"Bye."

I got sick over the weekend which means that I can't go to work which I guess is fine honestly. I needed more time to think about this whole situation and what I'm going to do anyway.

Later that day, I laid down on the couch with a blanket around me. The TV wasn't on, I didn't have my phone, I was just laying there doing nothing. Bones found a comfy spot on my stomach facing me.

"You know, I don't even think being sick is the worst thing at the moment," I told my cat. "Listen, I know you're a cat, but don't you think you could give me advice?"

I stopped, realizing quickly that I probably seemed crazy asking my cat for help. Our conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door. I slowly stood up and walked to the door and, upon opening up, I was surprised to see who it was. Shayne. Freakin'. Topp.

"Hey, heard you were sick," he said. He held up a plastic bag. "Luckily, Nurse Shayne has arrived."

"H...uh...hi, Shayne," I couldn't find my words too well. "Oh, um, come on in I guess."

He walked in and I closed the door behind me. Wrapping my blanket more around my shoulders, I watched as he walked into the kitchen and placed the bag on the counter.

"So, Ian didn't say exactly what was happening with you so I just got a shit ton of stuff," he said. "How're you feeling?"

"Uh, well, I'm feeling better than I was," I shrugged. He noticed that I was still standing at my door. I would have moved but my legs wouldn't let me.

"You know, this is your place. Why are you standing there so awkwardly?"

"Sorry, I'm just...you know...pretty tired."

"Then you should lay down instead of standing there," he said. He moved towards me and helped me onto the couch. "There. Would you like me to tuck you in or are you too old for that?"

"I'm good, Dad. Thanks though," I said, a light chuckle in my words.

"Alright. I'll be right back. I've gotta tell Olivia that you're alive," he walked outside for a second. I could hear his voice outside of my door.

It's so strange. When he said he needed to step out, I almost wanted to tell him not to. It's because of him that my mind has been occupied with conflicting thoughts and memories revolving around him...yet...I don't want him to go.

"Shayne..." I whispered.

"Yeah?" He suddenly appeared behind me. I looked over the couch to see him closing the door and looking in my direction.

"I-I...um..." I could feel my face warming up quickly as I stuttered my words. "I was...wondering if I could...take a look at the stuff you brought?"

"Yeah, I'll bring the bag over," he said. He walked away and came back a few moments later, placing the bag on the table next to the couch. "Go ahead and take a look if you want. Anything that's bothering you the most?"

"Uh, yeah, my head," I sat up on the couch and glanced over at him. I don't know if I am just high because of my sickness or not, but be looks so much hotter than normal.

"If it's because of me you can say so, you know," he laughed.

"No, no, it's not because of you somehow," I sighed, a smile forming on my face.

"Okay, well, I've got plenty of stuff for your head," he reached into the bag and pulled out several things but all I could focus on was him.

"Hey...uh...Shayne? Why did...you come by today?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm just curious really. I mean, you had a long day at work I'm sure so...I'd think you would wanna go home."

"Well, normally I would have gone straight home after work but Ian let all of us know that you were sick and that's why you didn't come in today. I thought I'd stop by and check on you because, believe it or not, I care about you."

"I know you do, even if you don't act like it sometimes. You're sweet like that, you know?"

"Sweet, huh?"

"I-I mean...um...anyway, thank you for stopping by to check on me. I really appreciate it a lot," I said. I smiled at him and he smiled back, making my heart flutter.

"Yeah, of course," he said. He stood up and stretched his back. "Well, I'll leave you alone now. I'll come by tomorrow if you're still feeling crappy, okay?"

He started to walk away. Before my mind could comprehend what I was doing, I had flown towards him and grabbed his shirt. He stopped and looked back at me.

"Courtney? What's...?" He seemed as surprised as I was.

"Don't go." I said. "Please...don't go. Shayne...I..."

I hadn't realized it but I had started to cry. He knelt down and wiped away the tears on my cheeks.

"What's wrong?" He asked. His voice, I could tell he was serious. His voice sounded so genuine as he looked at me while I cried in front of him.

"Don't...don't go..." I said again. I couldn't think of anything else to say, my mind was speaking for me.

"Okay. I won't go if you want me to stay, alright?" He said. "I'll be here until you change your mind. Until you tell me you don't need me anymore, get sick and tired of looking at my face or just flat-out tell me to buzz off."

"I-I...I..." I couldn't say anything. I didn't have a single word in mind. All I could do was look at him as he looked at me. I leaned my forehead onto his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me.

It was at this point that I knew the truth...I'm in love with Shayne Topp.