Martini Blue 1.6

"Oh no! You know Nathan? He like, spent almost a million just for that yacht! Turns out, his mortal enemy owns it" they were spattering gossips, telling chains of issues from whoever names both Mr. and Mrs. Mendez knew nothing about.

Lorelei was seated with the ladies and Luthor was unwillingly with the gents. Said they should separate for now if not they'll be separated for real. Of course it was a joke the host awkwardly had to say, the tension between the two couple upon arriving the scene was detectable.

"So, Mrs. Mendez, would you mind holding little Cathy at the moment? I needed to get this one out" one of the mothers, handed her the small child. Probably, a one year old daughter and stepped out without waiting for her to respond. She was left stuck and unmoving, holding the innocent child in her arms. There were a lot of ladies around them, perhaps a mother of their own, but she just had to give her, a childless woman, her own offspring.

Lorelei heard the other women's remarks, mostly Jen Mapagmahal's comments; of how cute she would look like with a child, how they would "probably" handle and raise the Mendez children. It did little to comforting her of securing the child, whether she should put this much force on it's tiny body or let her grip loosen a bit. She was sweating internally.

The woman was a bit becoming uncomfortable, her lips smiling awkwardly but her eyes sought for that one gray pair. It moved around the crowded place, trying to find him and his tall, powerful physique. She needed him at the moment. There's something on her being that screams unfamiliarity but it wasn't all that bad.

At last their gazes met. For a second his eyes studied her posture, it briefly scanned her wholeness as it registered to him she had a delicate human on her lap.

Luthor heard his own heart beat, a surge of emotions welling up as he looked at his wife at the corner of the room. She was sitting up straight, obviously stiff for she wasn't used to hold a little human. There eyes lingered at each other's faces, talking telepathically but it was intervened when the mother of the child came back a few minutes after. Lorelei's attention was back to the ladies huddled around her. She was now the subject of the discussion.

"You should probably consider having a kid. You know you're wife's not getting any younger. They said being pregnant at a later age is prone to much complications" Luthor side eyed the middle aged man. White hair slowly sprouting on his head. Luthor offered him a small smile, looking down on his glass of brandy. There were considerations however, it's too complex to entertain.

"We're planning" was all he could muster as the night continued, never the same as they first entered the Mapagmahal mansion.

———

Lorelei massaged her temples, she was stressed out of the mission she failed and according to her chief, Mufasa should be under surveillance for the next 72 hours.

At their house, the small banter quite extended as well. The couple weren't that affectionate enough for the past few days. In the morning, she would prepare the breakfast, they would eat in silence, trying to avoid the "curtain" topic. At night, they would lie down side by side, but gone are the cuddles and warmth of their bodies. They found themselves sleeping, facing the opposite direction. Sometimes, both will engage in small conversations and it's driving Lorelei insane. As if they built another wall, it felt like living with a stranger, again.

She was sighing for the nth time until Maggie barged in her room, making her look up to the short-haired woman. Her brows creased on her guest's terrified look. Later, Jamie and Rosetta joined her sight.

What's going on?

she asked herself.

Lorelei sat up straight, curiosity filled her as the trio kept their mouths shut. Waiting for each other to speak up. "Tell me" Lorelei stated. Maggie looked at her brown eyes, "We know who the man is" she said, not breaking the eye contact. Her glasses shone the reflection of light.

Lorelei suddenly tensed, her heart was pounding fast. There was the doubt, the thought circling, boggling her mind for the past few days. Jamie was about to open her mouth but she chose not to, her talkativeness isn't needed in this situation. "Who?"

The three glanced at each other before Maggie said the words, "It's your husband".