Chapter 3: Christmas

Current Time Christmas Eve 1988

**************************************

“Ellis come on we’re late!”  You yelled at your sister in law's coworker Harry who was your date to the Nakatomi Christmas party. Holly had set you two up when she found out Harry didn’t have a date, she knew you didn’t want to go alone and Harry would agree to go with any woman who had nice legs. She made sure to explain to him that this was not a date between you and him and he agreed to keep it as civil as he could.  

“I’m coming, I’m coming.” He brushed you off and you both walked into the building and took the elevator to the 30th floor. You immediately started looking around for Holly. Eventually you spotted her with a glass of champagne in hand.  

“Holly.” You called out. 

“Hey!”  She hugged you and Ellis appeared at your side.  “How’s he treating you?” 

“He’s doing okay. Almost made us late because he had to fix his hair… 5 times, he had to fix his hair.”  You rolled your eyes.

“I have to look my best if I plan on taking you home with me when this is all over.”  He smirked, suggestively. 

“Not gonna happen Ellis. I don’t care what your hair looks like.”  You assure him.

“We’ll see, doll.”  He winked then walked away to grab a drink.

“Why did you set me up with him?” You rolled your eyes then looked at Holly. 

“I don’t know it seemed like a good idea at the time.”  She confessed. 

“And now?”  

“Yeah probably not.”  

“If he touches me I’ll kick him in the crotch Holly.” You warned her.  

“I believe you.”  

The party continued, people started to slowly get drunker and louder and the couples became more handsy. You and Holly talked to some of her work friends and she introduced you to her boss Takagi. You also made conversation with a few people on your own.  Everyone was drinking and having a good time. You kept a lookout for your brother John, he should be getting in any time now, but knowing John he was probably going to be late. He wasn’t big on parties such as this.  

“I got you a drink.”  Ellis held a drink out to you.  

“Thanks.”  You took it from him and took a sip of it. You weren’t much of a drinker, you mostly drank wine but you didn’t want to be rude.  Turning to try and spot Holly you saw John walk in the door in his leather jacket and white shirt.  

“John.”  You yelled over the group of loud drunks standing not far from you. 

“Hey Y/N.” He pushed through the crowd to embrace you.  “How have you been, angel?”  He asked, pulling away. 

“I’m alright.” You smiled. 

You were doing okay, not great but not terrible. It’s been a very lonely year and half since you left Germany. You threw yourself into work, you didn’t really go out, you just went to work came home, worked more and watched stupid movies on the Tv. You and Hans would call each other a couple times a week to catch up and talk about things. You told your brother about him when you got back from Germany. You didn’t go into detail, you just told him you found someone that you cared for very much and leaving him to come home hurt you a lot. Truthfully… It broke your heart. 

“Y/N. You haven’t been alright since you came back from Germany. It’s been almost a year, it’s time to move on.”  He tried to be comforting but it didn’t come out that way.