Chapter 5: Yipee-Kiy-Yay

“I WANT BLOOD!” Karl yelled. Hans had him pinned against the wall furthest from you to calm him down and still keep you safe after receiving the news of his younger brother's death.

“And you’ll have it. The police will spend hours trying to negotiate and when they do you can tear the building apart looking for this man but until then we do not alter the plan.”  He was very definite on this.  Karl pushed him off with a snarl. 

“Fine.” He growled.

“Darling I’ll be back in a moment.”  He said to you as he left out the office door with Karl.

“Don’t use the radio’s, take Heinrich and Marco to start planting the C4 on different floors and Uli can start with the roof.” He told Karl. He nodded and went to Marco and the other men and took them down the hallway into the stairwell. After they were out of sight he returned to the office with you.   

“Come on liebling you need rest. You can lay down in the office while we figure this out, I’ll turn the lights out so you can rest your eyes.” He took your hand and led you back to the couch after closing the office door behind him. After laying you down he kneeled beside you, brushing your hair out of your face.  “How are you feeling? Are you in a lot of pain?” He was so much more gentle than he was a moment ago. It was like he could flip a switch and change before your eyes. You knew this was all an act, all a way for him to get what he needed so he could get out. You knew Hans, you spent time with him alone, away from all this, you knew him and you were convinced you knew the real Hans. 

“I’m okay, my head hurts a little and my cheek bone aches but the ice is helping.” You rubbed his hand that was resting on the good side of your face where there were no cuts or bruises.  “I’m sorry about your friend. How are you doing?”

“I’m okay, he wasn’t so much of a friend. He was a comrade but we weren’t close. He was Karl’s brother so I feel sorry for Karl but other than that it doesn’t phase me much. Maybe that’s awful of me but.” 

“It’s not. The way you explained this to me is that this is your work.. Separating work and personal life is important and that’s what you’re doing and that’s a good thing because if you didn’t this would be a lot harder for you.” You assured him, taking the hand that was resting on your cheek and kissed his knuckles.  

“That's very insightful liebling. Thank you, you are right.”  He smiled as you placed little soothing kisses on his hand. He smiled because he used to do this to you back in Germany when you were stressed.  

“I love you.”  You whispered. 

“I love you too liebling.  I’m going to turn out the lights so you can have a little nap and hopefully when you wake up the headache will be a little better or be gone all together.”  He leaned down and kissed your head then stood to turn off the light. You caught his wrist in your hand. 

“Please don’t leave. Can’t you stay with me until I fall asleep?” You asked very childishly.  

“Of course my love, let me turn out the lights and I’ll lay with you.”  He assured you.  He closed the blinds and turned out the lights then returned to the couch. You moved over so he could lay beside you and you quickly cuddled up against his chest and he wrapped his arms around you.  

“I love you.” You said again, lazily.

“I love you too darling, get some rest.”  

**************************************

“Marco, Heinrich go set up the explosives, I have a pest to find.” Karl ordered as he walked past them back into the stairwell to continue his search.