Ch. 2.2 - Ivor's Plan

[Jesse's POV]

I grab their shoulder and spin them towards my direction. But to my surprise, the person in the yellow robe that I just grabbed wasn't Ivor, but just a random lady who happened to wear the same outfit and hair.

Lady: "What do you think you're doing?!"

Jesse: "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought-"

Lady: "Get away from me!"

Jesse: "I said I was sorry!"

The Lady shakes her head before turning away. How the heck did this even happen?! Why did it have to happen to me?! Anything can be okay, but public embarrassment. This day can't get any worse, right?

Reuben corrects that statement when I hear him screaming from a bit far away. I run over to see what was going on and find out that the source of the scream was from a butcher shop.

Butcher: "Nothing sticks to your ribs quite like a juicy pork chop!" The Butcher places Reuben on the front counter while bringing out a stone axe.

Jesse: "Reuben!" I interrupt the butcher before he does anything further.

Butcher: "What's the big idea? I'm trying to run a business here!"

Jesse: "That's my pig! You kidnapped my pig!"

Butcher: "Well, I don't know what you're talking about, chief. I found this pig wandering alone in the streets."

Jesse: "Please, he's my friend!"

Butcher: "To me, he's inventory. But I might be amenable to some kind of trade. Not that you look like you've got much of value." The man chuckles.

I draw my sword without further delay. The sudden action must have shocked the Butcher a lot. Good, that was my intention. I'm not usually aggressive, but this day has already been shitty enough and I'm not about to save Reuben from the verge of death again.

Jesse: "Give. Me. Back. My. Pig."

Butcher: "All right, you little maniac, fine. Take him, he's yours." He pushes Reuben off the counter. I pull back my sword and escort Reuben away from the shop.

"Right, I'm sorry that I didn't notice you wandered off. I was busy trying to find that creepy dude, okay?" Reuben looks away, insulted. "Right, here I'll get something that can heal your eye." I hurry over to a medical center and buy a potion of regeneration. I urge Reuben to drink it. He seemed hesitant at first, but eventually drinks the whole bottle. "Right, now just wait a little while." Reuben calms down as we go further along the path.

I notice Olivia in the crowd just in front of the entrance to the Hall where Gabriel's show is going to take place. I hurry over and tap her shoulder.

Jesse: "Remember that thing I had to go do with Petra? Long story short, we met up with this guy, he cheated me and Petra on a deal, and now we're trying to track him down, You in?"

Olivia: "Oh, I'm in. Actually, I think I might have seen him before. Does he have a big nose?"

Jesse: "Yes."

Olivia: "I think that was him who went into the Hall."

Jesse: "Well, you still have these tickets, right? We can go in early."

Olivia: "I was already waiting on you guys, so let's go." Right then, I could hear Petra and Axel coming up behind us.

Petra: "Any sign of him?"