Ch. 11.2 - Are we there yet?

[Jesse's POV]

The pond wasn't really big, and we weren't in the mood for swimming, so we just sat around it and splashed the water from time to time with our legs as a method of cooling down.

Lukas: "The landscape sure looks amazing, doesn't it?" Lukas, who's sitting right next to me, is attempting to strike up a conversation. Honestly, I wanted to talk about things with him too, but secretly I'm glad that I don't have to be the one to start it.

Jesse: "Not a nature fanatic, but I guess?"

Lukas: "Hm? You don't go out much?"

Jesse: "Not really, despite someone..." quick glance at Olivia, who's sitting on the other side of the pond. "...who really wants us to."

Lukas: "Why not?"

Jesse: "Well, Axel doesn't like seeing people. You can understand why if you think about people like Aiden."

Lukas: "Oh... well, I'm sorry."

Jesse: "Eh? For what?" Lukas gazes at the jungle on the horizon.

Lukas: "You know this whole rivalry between my group and yours?"

Jesse: "Oh yeah, right. I kinda forgot about that whole thing."

Lukas: "I was really hoping I could make things better with you guys and end that whole rivalry thing entirely, but I never got the chance to."

Jesse: "You're the ocelots' leader, aren't you? Surely you, of all people, would've been the one who could've done that, right?"

Lukas: "Well, yeah, but I didn't want to disappoint Aiden and Maya. I should tell you this, but Aiden really doesn't like Axel for some reason. And if I went against his opinion, he would always get angry at me. I just wanted to be a good friend and make sure everyone stayed happy. I was too scared to do the wrong thing, so all I could do was watch. I was stuck on what to do."

Jesse: "Well, then, you need to-" I wanted to say to get better friends, but quickly realized how wrong that would come out and stopped mid-sentence.

Lukas: "Do what? What do I need to do, Jesse?" Lukas looks at me, perplexed.

Jesse: "Nevermind that..." For the time being, I avoided making eye contact. Beside the point, who knew that Aiden of all people had so much power in that group? This whole rivalry happening because of him and his hatred for Axel. I wonder if he was the one who manipulated Maya and Gill into thinking his way as well. I can't blame Lukas.

Jesse: "Well, whatever happens! If it makes you feel better, let's end this rivalry after everything is over, okay? Once we return to our hometown, we'll live as friends rather than foes. I don't care what Aiden thinks; we'll make it work out, okay?!" For a brief moment, Lukas appears surprised. I realized that I had raised my voice a bit. I nervously looked down cause of that.

Jesse: "Oops, did I say that too loud?" Lukas suddenly chuckles.

Lukas: "No, no, I just thought you never sounded that determined about something. I like that idea. I think we might be able to pull it off."

Jesse: "Well, it was just a suggestion..." Lukas pats my back with a reassuring look.

Lukas: "C'mon, why are you looking down like that? Cheer up! It wasn't that noticeable?"

Jesse: "Eh... I guess you're right." I awkwardly turn my head back up.

Lukas: "So then, what about you? You didn't get bullied by Aiden too, right?"