3

"So which one of you is Isaac Durham?" I proclaimed, scanning each of their faces.

One of the most captivating studies of all is the art of purpose. Master that, and you can decode or unlock anything you want about human nature. It's true that I knew how to use it before joining the CIA officially. However, putting a label on this skill enhanced my knowledge of the way the world works.

The six men in here are not likely to verbally rat themselves out; at least that much is clear. Hence, the question wasn't asked with the intent of a reply.

Rather, peoples' bodies tend to do most of the talking. And when one man's eyes darted slightly to his left and a man on my right tensed his jaw, I had already won.

In that split second, each man scurried to grab a weapon or prepared for self defense. I had to keep my eye on Durham; he couldn't get away so easily.

"I got him," Loid assured as he bolted towards the men.

Ok, maybe I don't have to keep my eye on him so much.

I followed suit, refusing to resort to a weapon unless we cleared the space. Hand-to-hand combat was probably the easiest bet here; although two men already had guns in their hand, it wouldn't be a problem.

It would take two seconds for either of them to load a gun. One second minimum to aim. I can get to one of them in three strides, clearing around five yards in one second. I'd probably manage to kick the gun out of one hand and dodge the other by the time I got there.

So, I got to work.

Loid worked on the unarmed fellows while I was at it. Out of my peripheral while I ran, I saw each of them flock towards him, one of them being our primary target. Meanwhile, a quick jab to the wrist of my opponent using my foot disarmed him almost instantly upon my arrival. By the time I turned around to face the other, he already had his arms locked in a firing position.

A quick drop to the floor and a sweeping kick was enough to get him off his feet and catalyze his fall. Consequently, the poor man dropped his gun in the process of freeing up his hands.

I almost wished this wasn't so easy. How boring.

I became lazy with my movements. Exerting full force wasn't worth my time. I grabbed the head of the man who was still standing and brought it abruptly to my knee.

Man number one was out cold. Man number two squandered his time by trying to reach for his gun on the floor next to him. I swiftly kicked it out of his reach and watched him whine.

"Wait, wait, I'm sorry, I'll do anything—"

"God, shut up," I sighed, pulling him up by the collar and meeting his jaw with my fist.

I shook my hand and realized it was quiet once again. Quiet, except for the sounds of muffled screams as Loid stood over Durham behind me.

More specifically, he firmly held a chloroform cloth to his face as his pleas slowly died down. Loid was locked in concentration as he took care of his last victim of the night.

I cleared my throat to steal his attention. "Do you, uh... need help carrying the body?"

His attention averted to the men on the ground behind me, and then finally back to me.

"Hello?" I called again, causing him to blink at me a few times.

"Uh," he thought out loud, "no. Hold the jewelry box on the table."

"Why are you like this?" I questioned bluntly while approaching the roulette table. The perimeter was littered with glasses of liquor, dollar bills, ashtrays, and plastic bags. Now that I finally noticed it, the whole room reeked.