6

Ostania was a land of sunsets, I thought. I watched through the windows of the apartment with my attention glazing delicately over the jaded glass. Anya climbed onto the sofa, insisted that she was strong enough to be just like Bond Man, and wrapped her arms around one of mine. 

For as beautiful as the early hours of the morning were to witness, the sun's departure would forever be the better spectacle in my eyes. Here, like the view from the United States' capital, rich reds caressed clouds as they passed overhead without the knowledge of worry or distress. I envied them like I envied the sun. The cruel privilege of the celestial did not trickle down to those below it. Humans had no such luxury since their actions rippled over into the lives of far too many others.

I'd like to think I didn't deserve to be betrayed like this. The question of whether purposeful or unintentional betrayal was worse loomed in my mind as I fixated on that unrelenting yet naive sunset. The colors of the day's last hurrah were as passionate as the fiery uncertainty residing in my chest.

Anya's perceptive. Too perceptive, almost, because as I pondered upon how to handle the sister I promised to protect, she gripped my arm tighter and displayed her affection in one of the only ways she knew how. Her touch made me feel like I was at home again. I devoted everything to Ophelia. I thought in that moment that I might've been asking myself the wrong question all along.

Would it hurt more to betray Ophelia or for her to betray me?

Either idea drove me mad. Given that she is a member of that awry organization, our fate is sealed as our occupations mix together like oil and water. It is only a matter of time before we both get hurt, but until then, Loid and I already agreed she may be a potential asset.

"Well, I'll be on my way now," the man said, tearing me from my trance and the sun, which began to dip below an array of distant buildings. His eyes were typically a muted blue. They would take in the light and diffuse it to the point where the border of his irises seemed to blur with the whites of his eyes. They reflected the stillness of ice, the silence of the frozen tundra.

 In the zealous surge of yellow light that reached him, his eyes took on a new energy that caused a shiver to crawl down between my shoulder blades. They were incredibly unnatural, so undeniably electric; they took on the ferocity of Mediterranean waters as they crashed into the rocky Italian coastline. This wasn't Loid the psychiatrist I was meeting the glare of—for heaven's sake—it was Twilight.

I realized I've already started developing bad habits in regards to this man—whichever alias he took. I almost wished to know what was going on behind those half-ardent, half-dull eyes of his. Mild curiosity had morphed into something far greater that it was worth the time and effort I was putting into it, but I did not mind. Mere jokes and jabs at his ego weren't getting myself anywhere near that end goal. At least I was entertaining myself, if no one else.

"Get home safe my love, okay?" I pleaded. My eyes were not facing the zealous surge of yellow light like his eyes were. They found solace in the shadows, holding a cooler form of dignity that demanded attention. He gave them that attention, witnessing not only the moment between his wife and daughter that he'd soon be parting with, but also the overwhelming pragmatism and confusion storming over my senses.

He was dressed head to toe in a suit and tie, with his car keys in one hand and a briefcase in another. He realized my request was tainted with a foul aftertaste, but there was nothing to be done about it. Everything between us had been sour since Ophelia left late last night. Nonetheless, he promised me he'd get home safe despite the facade he put up in front of Anya and hurried out the door.

It was then 7:30PM in the capital city of Berlint. The late hour brought a light wave of drowsiness that made me reflect on my progress thus far. I no longer found myself staring at the ceiling in order to fall asleep early nor waking up when the sun was already reaching its peak in the sky. It was new. I wanted to navigate the honest waters of this lifestyle and let its current lead the way.