45

Out of all people, Mikan was the blackened. How could someone who's job is to cure others take someone's life so easily?!

I stared at Mikan.

"Hahahahahahaha," She laughed.

She's been voted out... why is she laughing?!

"T-This chick! Hey! D-Don't just laugh, say something!" Kazuichi exclaimed.

"Hehehehehahahahahaha."

"This is nothing like Peko! She's actually gone mental!" bellowed Fuyuhiko.

"There's  nothing we can do, she is no longer the same person," Nagito began to explain. "She is... no longer the Mikan Tsumuiki we once knew..."

"Nagito? What do you mean?" Hajime looked at Nagito in a way that shows he didn't believe what the luckster was saying.

"Based on my predictions... She might've caught it too," Nagito replied. "The Despair Disease, I mean..."

"What?! Mikan?" Almost everyone but Nagito was stunned. No one knew that the nurse contracted the disease.

"You guys probably don't believe it, but  I know because I was looking at Mikan for so long. She was the one who took care of me the most, after all," Nagito let out a care-free smile. "Although I couldn't stay conscious for long, I still could see glimpses of her. Her expressions were so full of despair. A despair so devoid of hope that not even a single fragment of it remained." he grimaced. 

"Hold on... are you actually saying that Mikan has the despair disease?! Then... that..." Hajime trailed off.

"What is it, Hajime? Something crossed your mind?" Nagito seemed confident at his accusation of Mikan being infected with the Despair Disease.

"That's right... Mikan felt scorching at that time... Now that I think about it, she probably..." 

"Then, because of the disease.... Mikan committed murder? How could something as simple as a disease cause her to do that?!" I asked.

"The symptoms she felt must've what caused her to do it. Truly deserving of the name, Despair Disease." Nagito's lips turned into a frown, "Losing all hope... and harboring despair for all hope... Because of the Despair Disease, she was likely overcome with despair. That might even be the reason as to why she can still laugh at a hopeless situation like this."

"Which means, the Mikan who stands before us is no longer The Ultimate Nurse. Rather, she is a human deserving to be called The Ultimate Despair!" Disgust overtook Nagito's face as he pointed a finger at the nurse.

"Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,"

"That's the reason why... I cannot forgive this," Nagito shook his head in disappointment, "I mean, killing for the sake of despair instead of for the sake of hope... There's no way I can forgive that," He clenched his fist. 

"For the sake of... despair?" Mikan looked confused, "Haha, that's completely wrong!" 

"Wrong? What's wrong?" I asked.

"What I did... was for the sake of my beloved..." 

"Beloved? Who?"

"If only they were still alive... They'd be so happy..." Mikan placed her hands of her chest and sighed longingly, "My beloved... was the only one... That's right, the only one who never hated me. They forgave my existence and accepted me... They gave me value... They loved me... I loved them with all my heart and they returned it in full. This is... my reciprocation,"

"I don't understand what you're saying..." Nagito looked at Mikan.

"You don't understand?" Mikan looked at Nagito mockingly, "Is it because you don't have anyone to love? Is it because you're also someone who isn't accepted by anyone? What a pity. I feel sorry for you," Mikan's words seemed to affect Nagito greatly.

"You're wrong, Mikan!" I interrupted, "Unlike you, Nagito actually has someone who cares for him! Someone who doesn't use him to fulfill their selfish desires. Someone who l-loves him wholeheartedly.... And that someone is me," I boldly declared.

"Y/n..." Nagito was speechless.

Did.... Did I just declare my feelings out loud?!

Oh no...

Oh no 

This is so embarrassing! 

Mikan laughed at my flustered face, "Love is a wonderful thing," She smiled, " This feeling of freedom where you no longer care about anything! Who cares about hope or despair?! It's love, love, and only love!" 

***

"Let's give it everything we've got! It's... PUNISHMENT TIMMMEEEEEE!" Monokuma grabbed his gavel and pressed the red button, automatically dragging Mikan away from the trial room. 

Mikan's execution was... interesting, to say the least. She was strapped to a giant arm and was sent flying into space. We were speechless.

Mikan...

"Let me ask... Who was that Mikan from earlier?" Gundham broke the silence with his question. "Was that her true form? Or is that itself a symptom of the Despair Disease?"

"It doesn't matter," Nagito replied. "If she ended up like that just from 'remembering' then she was never worthy to be a symbol of hope to begin with," he let out a disappointed sigh.

"So, let's just move on!" His frown turned into a smile as he tried to console us, "We can take all this despair and turn it into hope!"

"T-That is impossible!" Sonia exclaimed in protest. "I mean... I thought we were friends this whole time... but even so..." She sobbed.

Before Mikan was executed, we found out that there were traitors among us. Yes, traitors. There were more than one, and they are both from Future Foundation. 

I just want everything to end.

***

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!! 

I've been very inactive this year (apologies for that) due to it being my senior year. Hopefully I can find some time to write and upload some chapters while studying. 

Once again, I love you all and thank you for the support <33