60

I stepped up on my podium between the portraits of Mikan and Byakuya. I shivered at the sheer emptiness of the courtroom.  The room that once occupied 17 students turned into 9...

And it'll keep decreasing as time goes on... 

"Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial," Monokuma began, "during the class trial you will present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for whodunnit!"

"If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone besides the blackened, and that person will earn the right to leave this island!" He repeated for the 4th time.

***

I watched as Gundham's body was lifted to the skies by dog angels. I was shocked, in disbelief. I never expected any of this to happen.

Gundham and Nekomaru sacrificing their selves for our sake?

I felt sick. 

They didn't deserve to die...

"G-Gundham...!" Sonia cried as she tightly clutched the 4 hamsters the boy once owned, "No... Nooo..!"

"Damn it...! DAMN IT!" Akane tightly clenched he fists as silent tears fell down her cheeks, "I'm so pissed off... I need to throw something...!"

"You all spent so much time worryin' about each other... And thanks to that... things ended up like this..." 

"You're all... full of shit..."

"Every last one of you..."

"But the biggest piece of shit is me!" The gymnast fell to the ground, weeping. I immediately made my towards her as she weakly punched the ground, "weak... I'm so weak..." She mumbled in tears.

"A-Akane, you're not weak..." I held her in my embrace, rubbing comforting circles on her back. She continued to sob on my shoulder, I couldn't help but feel small tears fall down my eyes.

"It's such a downer... clearly..." Chiaki spoke, "but still... Even though we feel this way... We still gotta do our very best," she encouraged.

"Y-Yeah... You... You're right," Akane sniffled as she stood up, her composure coming back to her. I let go of her and gave a pat on the back.

"This time around... We must move forward... We must continue to live and believe in our friends..." Sonia added, "if not... Then Gundham will most likely crawl his way out of hell, and I presume he will be very cross with us," she gave a weak chuckle. 

It hurt my heart seeing my classmates mourn over their deaths, but I couldn't just reassure them. It can't work like that.

"This is so difficult..." I whispered.

"So... how long are you guys gonna stand around chattering?" Monokuma observed the scene before him with an amused smile.

He's always amused.

"The class trial is over, so it's okay for you to hurry back over to Jabberwock Island!" The monochromatic bear disappeared. 

"Now then," I turned to Akane, who spoke, "All right, after feeling down for so long, I finally feel refreshed! Let's hurry back and eat some food!" She flashed a grin. It looked like she was back to her normal self. 

I smiled at her attitude, "You're right, Akane... Come on! Let's go!" I tried my best to usher my friends towards the elevator with the gymnast's help, which caused the atmosphere from the courtroom slightly turning into a lighter one. 

...

Little did I know, I was being observed by a certain luckster at the very back of the room.

***

chapter 5 is going to be the longest chapter i'll cover. i can feel it </3

ALSO !! might not be able to update daily as of next week since i have midterms at that time T___T 

but don't worry! i'll try to update as soon as possible once it's is over. 

aside from that, thank you so much for being here despite my long-ass absence from writing! virtual hugs for everyone!!!