3.4 The Sauna Test

The next morning I awoke to feel a something wrapped around my waist. I opened my eyes and saw that it was Steve's arm. I was freaking out because I didn't want to wake him up, but I really had to pee. I took his wrist and lifted his arm carefully to not wake him. I slowly got out of bed and tip toed to the bathroom. I peed and by the time I got back Steve was awake.

"Morning." He said wiping the eye boogers out of the corners of his eyes. 

"Morning." I replied leaning against the doorway. "Thanks for letting me crash here last night." I said thankful.

"No prob. I have to get my uniform on, but then we can head to the mall." He explained and I nodded. "Oh, your clothes are in the dryer by the way." He said as I walked out of his room to give him privacy to change.

"Thanks." I said going to get my clothes from last night. I quickly changed and then met Steve by his car. We drove to the mall and entered Scoops Ahoy to greet Robin. We were all waiting on Dustin, but he was doing reckon on the Russians.

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun." Dustin explained pacing the back room of Scoops Ahoy. "Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it.

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin said determined to find out what the Russians were hiding.

"Well, you know..." Steve said blowing a puff of air into his hat. "I could just take him out." Steve offered and I tried my best to hide my laugh.

"Take who out?" I asked trying to clarify what he was saying.

"The Russian guard. What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy." Steve shrugged nonchalantly. 

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin questioned in disbelief of Steve's moronic plan.

"Yes, Dustin, I did. And that's why I would be sneaking." Steve said making a sneaking gesture with his hand.

"Well, please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually... won a fight?" Dustin asked already knowing the answer.

"Okay, that was one time..." Steve said in a defensive tone.

"Twice. Jonathan. Year prior?" Dustin pointed out and I let out a little chuckle, but I coughed to hide it when Steve gave me a look.

"Listen, that doesn't count." Steve defended.

"Why wouldn't it? Because it looks like he beat the shit out of you." Dustin said with zero sympathy in his voice.

"You got a fat lip, crooked nose, swollen eye, a lot of blood... things that all added up..." Dustin pointed out again with zero sympathy.

"I mean I almost beat Billy, right Frankie?" Steve asked wanting me to back him up.

"Yeah, but Billy fought pretty dirty." I said trying to make him feel better.

"That just might work." Robin said looking at a vent and I knew where she was going with her idea.

"Robin. Hey, Robin! Hey, what... what are you doing?" Steve asked as Robin took the tips from the tip jar.

"I need cash." She shrugged continuing her mission.

"Well, half of that's mine. Where're you going?" Steve asked disappointed.

"To find a way into that room, a safe way. And, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up. Frankie, you're in charge. I'll be back in a jiff." She said running out of Scoops Ahoy. 

"I'm in charge." I said sticking my tongue out at Steve and he rolled his eyes. Then Steve saw Dustin was licking his scooper and got disgusted.

"Oh, dude. Come on, man, not my scooper." He said spinning it and putting it in his apron.