Epilogue

Christmas was right around the corner and my dad and I were planning on celebrating it like every other year. Decorating the tree, drinking eggnog, and exchanging a few gifts that we could barely afford. It was the perfect way to wrap up this crazy year. We were now cuddled by our fireplace with Rudolph playing on the tv.

"So, are you and this Harrington boy an item now?" He asked out of nowhere.

"What are you talking about? Steve and I are just friends." I said confused.

"Just let him know that I have guns." He said not believing me.

"Dad, trust me, you don't have to worry about Steve. He's dating Nancy Wheeler." I said sipping on some hot chocolate.

"I thought Jonathan liked her." He asked confused.

"He does." I shrugged.

"I see. Do you still like Jonathan?" He asked.

"Dad, can we not talk about this?" I asked uncomfortable with the topic.

"I'm just curious." He said raising his hands up in defeat. We returned to the movie and a few minutes later he broke the silence. "Jonathan knows that I have guns, right?" He asked.

"Oh my god, dad. Yes, Jonathan knows you have guns. You don't have to worry about any boys in my life. I'm trying to focus on school and I'll worry about relationships later." I said trying to get him off my back.

"That's smart." He said returning to silence. I could see him looking at me and he wanted to ask me a question so bad.

"What?" I asked giving in.

"I just, I don't want you to have any regrets. I want you to have fun and go out once in a while." He said.

"I do go out." I defended.

"Work doesn't count and neither does going to Jonathan's." He rebutted before I could interrupt.

"Dad, where is this coming from?" I asked confused.

"Nowhere. I just want you to have a social life." He said.

"Wait... Is this some way of telling me that you have a social life?" I asked.

"What? No!" He said clearly lying.

"Oh my God! Do you have a lady friend?" I asked excited.

"Frankie, I do not have a lady friend." He defended.

"What's her name? Do I know her? How long have you been seeing her?" I fired off questions.

"Jesus, Frankie." He said, but I kept looking at him with puppy dog eyes. I needed answers. "Her name is Mary. She works at the library. We've been seeing each other for a couple of weeks." He finally said.

"Wait, how do you know someone from the library?" I asked.

"I can read, Frankie." He said.

"Yeah, but you don't like to read." I said knowing my dad.

"Ok, maybe I don't like to read, but I saw her one day and I had to get to know her. She's great. Smart, sophisticated, attractive." He said.

"Ewww, I don't ever want to hear the word attractive coming from your mouth again." I said jokingly.

"I want you to meet her eventually. When things get more serious." He said hoping that I would approve.

"Of course I will meet her. Just let her know, I have a bow and plenty of arrows and I know how to use them." I said and he laughed.

"Alright, Rambo, I'll get some more popcorn." He said getting up and going to the kitchen to get some more refreshments. This was the perfect day, but in the back of my mind all I could think about was the fact that I didn't think that Hawkins saw the last of the Upside Down.