4.3: The Monster and the Superhero

We were preparing to leave Eddie for the night, when I took him aside. Steve was watching us from afar, but I didn't think much of it. 

"Are you ok?" I asked still worried about him.

"Not in the slightest, but at least there's an explanation for everything going on." He joked and it made me smile a little. 

"Do you want me to stay with you tonight?" I asked not wanting him to be alone.

"No, I'll be good here. You don't have to worry about me. Plus, your dad would kill me if you weren't home tonight." He joked and I laughed.

"That he would." I joked back. Eddie's smile fell as we stood there. "Are you sure you'll be ok alone?" I asked taking his hands in my own.

"I will be fine." He assured me and I sighed as I hugged him not wanting to leave him alone.

"Hey, Edwards." He muttered with his chin resting on my head.

"Yeah." I asked though it was muffled by his shoulder.

"I'm glad that you came to find me." He said sincerely. I pulled back from the hug and kissed him gently. It was different from our other kisses. Less urgent more filled with emotion. 

"I'll always come find you." I promised and he nodded as he kissed me again gently. 

"You should go get some sleep. I will see you tomorrow." He said and I nodded reluctant to leave. 

"See you then." I said as he kissed my forehead and I let go of his hands. I went to join Steve at the door.

"You really care about him, don't you." Steve said as we exited the boathouse to join the others outside. 

"Yeah, I do." I answered as we joined the other next to the car. We all piled in and Steve started the car and dropped everyone else at home. It was now just us in the car as he was driving me home.

"Do you want to stay over tonight?" He asked as he drove down the street.

"Yeah, that would probably make the most sense. I'll just call my dad when we get to your house." I answered and he nodded.

"So you an Eddie." He muttered glancing at me then back at the road. 

"Yeah." I said biting my lip to keep my smile from showing too much.

"You know if he hurts you, the last thing he needs to worry about is the cops." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"I can take care of myself, Steve." I said and he nodded.

"Oh, I know. You're a badass, I'm just saying." He replied clearing his throat.

"Underneath all the hair, leather, and sarcasm, Eddie is a really good person." I informed him and he nodded.

"Are you in love with him?" Steve asked and I thought about it for a second.

"I'm not sure. I've never been in love before. I don't know what it feels like." I admitted putting my hair behind my ear a little embarrassed by the revelation. 

"What I saw back there, it looked a lot like love." Steve informed me and I shrugged.

"I think it's headed that way." I said and he fixed his hair and shifted in his seat. 

"I just don't want you to get hurt." Steve said empathetically. "You're a deeply caring person and I don't want him to take advantage of that." Steve added and I sighed.

"Thanks, dad." I said sarcastically and he laughed rolling his eyes.

"I'm serious." He replied and I nodded smiling at my best friend.