Bonus chapter

[ Averie and Spencer finding out about their third pregnancy + gender ]

S P E N C E R ' S P O V

I sit back down at my desk after lunch, ready to open up my case files when my phone gets a new message notification. I open it to find a text from Averie and I respond immediately.

I snicker, tucking my phone back into my pocket

We definitely weren't planning another baby just yet, but it's us, so of course we weren't exactly doing much to prevent it either. Pull and pray, as Averie would say.

One of those little guys must have got through. No, they all got through. I tried to pull out but if Averie could experience what it's like to be inside her, she would understand why it takes everything in me to attempt to pull out. I blame Averie though. If it's the night I'm thinking of, it's definitely her fault.

I came home from work that evening and the boys were already shipped off to Derek and Layla's for the night, and my wife was waiting for me on our bed, wearing my favorite shade of purple lingerie with a pile of my silk ties layed out because she wanted me to tie her up.

Not. My. Fault.

-

With the pregnancy test I just bought at the store in hand, I turn the key in the front door and step inside our house.

"I'm home!" I call out, dropping my bag and setting my keys down.

Usually the boys are downstairs when I get home and I get greeted by them running into my arms by the door, excitedly talking over each other to tell me about their day.

But after checking all downstairs, I realise they're not down here. So I head up the stairs, checking both their rooms to find them also empty.

When I get to Averie and I's bedroom, I can hear the shower running in the bathroom and I pause by the door when I hear Averie and Aidan talking.

"Aidan, you're so sweet but I'll be fine, you can go play if you want."

"That's okay, mommy. I like helping you."

I push open the door to see Averie hunched over the toilet, Aidan behind her holding her hair and rubbing her back.

"Dad!" Evan yells over the sound of the water running, and I turn to see him knocking on the glass shower door to get my attention. "I'm in the shower!"

"I can see that," I laugh. "Are you having fun?"

Evan tilts his head back, letting the water pool in his mouth before he blows it out like a fountain. He gives me a thumbs up in acknowledgement before he focuses back on his bath toys. He's entertained and happy so I'll deal with him in a minute.