Chapter 9: New Beginning

"A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other." — Kate Stewart

( Unedited )

Max's POV

A loud grumbling tummy forced me to pull away from her warmth, then gently crawled out of the coverlet and sat at the edge of the bed.

I smiled, with my heart swelled with overwhelming happiness as I swept my gaze lovingly about her calm, innocent face, resting on her thick, long, sooty lashes that fanned out just above her cheekbones and curled attractively at the tip.

I adored how clueless she is when it comes to her looks.

She doesn't realize how stunning she is. She doesn't need any of the paint to enhance her face.

Her perfect face seemed sculpted by a well-known sculptor, an elegant visage that appeared from a portrait and given breath.

Her long, thick, sooty lashes don't need those black ink to darken them. It is already dark and almost looks like it was fake. Her well-defined cheekbones were asymmetrical and matched with a stubborn, slightly dimpled chin. Her lips are naturally pouty and the color of a ripe strawberry in the summer. Sensual and succulent.

But it wasn't her look that caught me at first. It was her forwardness, fiery spirit, and her dry humor, among other things.

Oh, it was her eyes. Eyes that held keenness, sharp, and shrewd that it seemed, when directed at you, she could read the very depth of your soul.

She could unnerve you with just a sharp look.

She was also remarkably mature at a very young age, goofy at times, but that's how she is.

She wants to enjoy every minute of her life. She doesn't want to dwell on the negative things.

In short, she's very optimistic.

And she's mine.

She loved me.

And last night, I couldn't deny it anymore. I didn't care if my actions had silently screamed that she was important to me. I didn't want any man to stare at her, undress her, fantasize about her, or unknowingly glance her way.

That was only for me.

I couldn't deny it anymore, that possessive beast screaming within me, taking in control with my whole being last night.

And with Noah's hand all over her, I was ready to beat him. Jealousy consumed me, and I was so close to socking him.

However, her constant stomping of any part of my legs had sent me the message she was as jealous as I, the only consolation and the only thing that helped me control the rage consuming me last night.

My heart once again drummed loudly against my ribcage, and I felt like my main organ was going to burst with such force that was so new to me, so overwhelmingly relieving, blissful, yet at the same time, it hurt.

I wonder if Mark Morgans or any of Morgan's crazy siblings had forgotten about me. And I don't know from last night's events I had finally compromised her safety?

My heart ached at the thought that maybe, she was now the Morgan's next target.

Being in the shadows, helpless, clueless of what was coming, infuriated me, at the same time, frightened me.

It didn't bother me before, and now, mindlessly broadcasting her presence into my life last night, I'm terrified.

My palm ran across my face as my insides warred if I had done the right thing.