Three (3) - Do It For Them

{Long Chapter Ahead - 5,000 words}

- Year 852 -

"Y/n, do you really have to go...?"

Y/n stopped from folding the clothes she'll bring, she looked at Jean who's sitting on the couch on the left side of her bed. The young man stared at her with a pleading look, as if telling her to change her mind about leaving the island for negotiations with their enemies. "I have to go, Jean. We have to do something to save this island..."

Jean intertwined his hands together, he leaned forward a little, crouching while his arms are rested on his lap.

"But It's too dangerous for you to be alone in our enemy's territory, let me go with you. Let's convince sir Zackly to have someone to accompany you, other than the Azumabito people."

Y/n shook her head. "No. I won't drag you with me, you said it yourself, it's dangerous in an enemy's territory, if things go south, I'll be the only one--"

"Stop. Don't continue what you want to say." Jean said, he clenched his jaw as he stood up and walked towards the h/c-haired lady. Y/n looked at him as he got to her side. "I don't have a say with your decisions, but I'm still worried for you. No...I'm scared for you. Are you sure about this plan of yours? What if it fails? What are we going to do? What will I do if some--"

Y/n smiled, making the young man to stop talking. Jean only stared at her, looking stunned upon seeing her rare,  smile. "We'll never know unless I take the gamble. Please just trust me, hm?"

Jean let out a sigh, he looked away. "That doesn't help at all, Y/n. You're putting a dangerous gamble...I trust you, but your plan, I don't. It's too..." Jean furrowed his brows, he looked at Y/n, eyes filled with uncertainty. "...it's too impossible. Will it really work...?"

Y/n continued on folding her clothes, then began placing it inside her bag. "Like I said, I won't know unless I do it. I just have to be ready for anything that might result to a good or bad news. We won't be able to save this small island if we don't take any risk."

"You sound like you're life is not important to yourself any longer."

Y/n paused, her eyes stayed on her clothes, her mind went blank after Jean got what she's really thinking.

"Be honest with me, Y/n..."

Jean held Y/n's chin, he made her to look at him, his brown-eyes stared straight and deep into Y/n's e/c ones.

"Is that how you feel? Is that how you think now?" The young man asked.

Y/n looked down, she didn't answer, because if she must, she will just lie. And even if she lies, the young man will see through her, her lips will say "no" but her eyes will answer "yes."

"You should go back to your room, Jean...it's late. I'll take a rest now, too." Y/n said. She moved her face away from Jean and finished her packing.

Jean stared at her for a moment.

Until he just decided to leave.

"I understand. Sleep well, Y/n"
The young man said then left.

Y/n was left alone in her room, she closed her eyes as she sat down on her bed, calming herself and not letting herself to break down. It's fine, Y/n. You can do it...do it for the people you love...for those soldiers who sacrificed their lives...do it for them. Y/n thought.

--

The mess hall was quiter than usual. Especially tha table of the Levi squad. No one among the six members of the Levi squad dared to speak as one of their close friends is not present for today. Y/n just left without saying bye.