Chapter 1

"

"...I'm sorry for not giving you a heads up about my promotion and about me having to go away for so long but to be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd get the job or not. Please don't be too disheartened sweetheart." my mum said in a soothing voice.

I sat across her still shocked at the announcement she just made. 'A promotion that'll have her away from home for months. I don't even know how to feel right now but I have to be supportive, she deserves it after working so hard'

"It's okay mom, you got the position and that's all that matters right?" I asked with a soft smile on my face. "Well, I'm sorry for leaving you like this. That must've been hard on you and I really hope you'll forgive me for this." she said thoughtfully while lightly squeezing my hand. "Yes, of course I will mum, just please try to come back as soon as possible, I love you." I said while trying to blink back tears but it seemed impossible because the dam broke when she said those words.

"I love you too Luna." she replied while wrapping her arms around me in a loving hug. I couldn't hold out any longer and I cried into her shoulder with everything I had within me. She held onto me tightly rubbing comforting circles along my back while whispering words of encouragement into my ear. I eventually pulled myself together and sniffled a few times before wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

"Sorry mum, I'm probably gonna start crying again..."
She laughed softly "You always do dear."
She stood up to leave and gave me one last smile. "Promise me you won't worry too much." she said.
I nodded my head vigorously "Promise"
~*~
A week later

I slowly got out of the car hating that soon my mum would be miles away from me. She's my best friend and is always there when I need her, our house is going to be so quiet without her.

The airport was bustling with a diverse assortment of people waiting to board their flights to new lives. The noise only served to heighten the already overwhelming feelings I was feeling. I looked over at mum and could see that even she was nervous but she was also excited.

I took a deep breath and hopped out of the car, "I'll get your bags for you mum, you go wait inside." she nodded and walked off. I picked up the suitcases from where they laid discarded beside the car and began heading towards the terminal with them.

I quickly maneuvered through the crowd and eventually found mum waiting for me. She went through all the necessary security checks and procedures and then the dreaded moment arrived.

"Well this is where I leave you Luna, I'm going to miss you so much." I wrapped my arms around her tightly and mumbled "I'll miss you more" into her shoulder. We finally pulled apart and she planted another kiss on my forehead. "Call me whenever you can kiddo, no matter what it takes."
Tears formed in my eyes once again and she wiped them away with a smile and then turned to watch her walk off until she disappeared into the crowd. I didn't think I'd ever grow to like airports.

I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie and slowly walked out of the airport. I called an Uber and began my journey home, the ride was thankfully quick and when I finally got home the house felt oddly empty.
'Well this is your life now Luna'

I grabbed my school bag and headed to the dining table to do some reading on Romeo and Juliet because I could not afford to flunk the test on Monday.

"I wonder if people actually love the spouses enough to end their lives so easily. I admit love is something I desire but does it really drive people so insane?" I asked myself while making notes.

It was true that I craved passion, love, romance but what if those things were too much to handle? What if there was no way a marriage could survive a lifetime of unrequited love? Would anyone really stay? Did it matter that we loved each other when we didn't love ourselves enough? Could I truly sacrifice my future happiness for someone else? Was it worth the cost? What would happen if love was too painful, too cruel for us? Wouldn't we just want it to stop?

I shook my head and blinked a few times 'Wow those were definitely some deep thoughts, but then again every reader has those moments when they blend fantasy and reality'.

I closed my books and headed upstairs to relax for awhile. I flopped onto my bed and cuddled my pillow until I had the itch the continue reading a story I started yesterday.

So there I was, alone in my bedroom, reading on my laptop. I decided to message my friend on Instagram but for some weird reason my password wasn't working and then a light near the laptop's camera lit up, making me start to panic and just shut my laptop in a hurry.

A few seconds later my phone vibrated and I received a notification from an unknown number. My breathing became heavier as I read the message, "Why aren't you letting me see what's mine, kitten?" it wrote.

"No...what's going on?," I whispered out loud as I began to cry. I felt the tears slip down my cheeks as I sat there sobbing. I wanted the person behind this to stop but I couldn't bring myself to move or say anything.

The next time my phone buzzed I jumped up, almost fell off the side of the bed and grabbed my phone as quick as I possibly could. In a frenzy I just answered the call without thinking.

The person at the other line sighed and spoke, "Listen to me when I say this sweetheart, don't ever try to block the camera again."
He paused and I gulped loudly. His voice sent shivers down my spine and made my heart beat faster.

I heard him inhale deeply as his voice softened slightly but it still left goosebumps in its wake. He spoke again, "This is your only warning, if you pull this stunt again I'll come looking for you and I won't take no for an answer."

My entire body trembled as he threatened me yet my mind told me to do something, do something! I stood frozen for a second as another thought came over me, 'What am I supposed to do?!', I can't just stand here crying like an idiot forever! My eyes widened as I realized I needed to think, think fast! I tried to calm my shaking hands by holding them against the phone but it helped little.

The longer I held it the louder my breathing got so I decided to let go and set it on my nightstand.

"Do you hear me kitten?!" he snapped.
I swallowed loudly and nodded as quickly as I could, "Yes!" I replied nervously.

"Good." is all he said before hanging up.