Chapter 13

The icy drops of rain hit my body rapidly as it's speed and strength increased by the second and showed no signs of slowing down

The icy drops of rain hit my body rapidly as it's speed and strength increased by the second and showed no signs of slowing down. The weather report was correct this time, a massive storm was due to approach anytime soon so I adjusted my hood once again and quickened my trimming of the hedges in the park. I couldn't afford to get another lecture from Daryl, my manager who I can guarantee  is trained in the art lecturing so much that you feel like your eyes are going to pop out from fighting sleep so you don't come across as rude.

I shivered as I continued my work and the patter of the rain as it slapped the ground was so loud that I had missed the sound of Daryl's approaching footsteps. He smacked my shoulder in a way that was light for him but rather painful for me seeing as even though I was quite tall he towered over me and had muscles that put my own to shame. In short I was extremely surprised to see him beside me without hearing a single sound. "Get out of this rain boy, I know you're trying to work extra time but you'll be doing no good if you get sick from staying in the cold. You've done good today." he said as he hit my back this time.

I opened my mouth to protest but closed it when I saw the hard glare he already had on his face, so I simply nodded and gave him a mock salute. 'One job down, one more to go Chase then a normal relaxing Sunday.'  

I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder as I carefully jogged to the cafe across from the park, I really didn't want to slip and get even more water on me. Although to be honest I don't think I can get anymore because I'm soaked all the way to my socks and even my boxers. Talk about getting up close and personal.

I pushed the open the glass door to Coffee Co.  which was my other job and heard the light ring of the new bell that I'd put up last week and as I stepped in I heard the squeaking of wet sneakers on the recently mopped and incredibly shiny floor. Mrs. Singh, an elderly woman who loved her traditional attire hurried out to greet what she thought was a new customer in a bright pink saree with an an abundance of sequins she let out a loud gasp as she finally took in appearance but before she could say a single word I gave her tight smile and rushed to the back room to change into my uniform which thankfully was dry. As I took of my heavy jeans to replace them with formal black pants I suddenly remembered to remove something from it.

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out the library card Luna had left behind a week ago in the park as she rushed off. She never once turned up and I wondered if I was to forward with her but I couldn't help it. I'd gotten through my teenage years not caring about girls because I had my own problems and now when I enter so called 'adulthood'  I get a crush on a teenager who yelled at me for cutting roses.

Thinking of that encounter brought a smile to face without my control and a slight laugh escaped as the memory of her flustered appearance came to mind as well. My mind was set, no matter what I have hope that I'll see her again. 

I tied the back of my apron and stepped behind the counter choosing to wipe it as Mrs. Singh mopped up the trail of water I'd left behind. When she had finished she placed her hands on her hips and looked at me disapprovingly, " Now do you care to explain why a twenty year old boy does not have the common sense to use an umbrella in this kind of weather? And to top it off you just wade in here letting water splash around and them make me clean it up. Don't you know better that make a gorgeous woman do such tedious tasks?"

I shrug my shoulders and choose not to answer but hearing her sigh makes me feel a sense of guilt so I answer, " I'm sorry, I was just in the park so I guess I didn't bother." I pause before giving her a wink and saying, " And I'm sorry for making you clean up when you look so beautiful today."

She laughs and smacks my head, " Of course I do, but don't you go around saying that to a married woman you rascal." she replies while gesturing to the vermillion on her forehead making me raise my hands in surrender and laughing.

As the time passes Mrs. Singh and I fall into our regular pattern of her interacting with the customers as if they were family, whether they new customers or old didn't matter to her, something I deeply admired her for. And I handled their orders moving in all directions to keep it up to standard so we wouldn't have to deal with any complaints from our customers. As I called Mrs. Singh to get the new order she took it over before rushing back and making a weird hand gesture which I immediately knew meant she needed a bathroom break so I nodded in understanding.

She rushed to the back and I lazily leaned on the counter but perked up when I heard the the ring of the bell and saw two people enter so I grabbed the menus and a notepad before heading to the table they had chosen and saying, "Welcome to Coffee Co. I'm Chase and I'll be attending to you tod-" but stopped myself from continuing when I looked up and locked eyes with the girl who had been occupying most of my thoughts lately."You're here?!" I practically yelled while staring at her with eyes as wide as the saucers I wash before I head home. She dropped her eyes to the table and huddled towards her chair and I cursed myself for yelling and scaring her but then noticed the red tint to her cheeks.

She gave a light wave while refusing to look up again and I wanted to say more but then I heard her friend ask, " Who is this guy, Luna?" and look at her expectantly and I finally moved my eyes from Luna to the girl across her, a girl with short black hair and blue eyes that stared at Luna and I in curiosity. "He's the guy I told you about from the park." she whispered so softly that I'd almost missed it.

Her friends eyes widened and she pursed her lips while looking at Luna before turning to me with a bright smile and saying, " Well my name is Ashleigh and I happen to be Luna's best friend so I will let you to have some time to chat but I'm watching everything from the other table so there's no funny business. So have fun kids." and sitting at the next table and making the 'I'm watching you gesture' with a straight face before letting out a bright smile.

I took a seat and looked at Luna who was glaring at her best friend and chuckled, " So it seems like we meet again... Luna Collins."