Chapter 16

I stared into the eyes of the boy in front of me, his green eyes that were as beautiful as emerald's held such a wild look that I wondered just how many times he'd imagined killing a person because of me

I stared into the eyes of the boy in front of me, his green eyes that were as beautiful as emerald's held such a wild look that I wondered just how many times he'd imagined killing a person because of me. But when I looked back at my captor's expression, his grin made me realize that they'd probably lost count a long time ago. I tried to keep my face expressionless as any sort of reaction could push them over the edge, as much I'd denied any relation to Chase I knew I cared and didn't want him to face any harm.

"I don't know what you both are talking about so please let me go, Ashleigh is outside waiting for me." I said speaking slowly as a preschool teacher would when trying to calm down a toddler.

Griffin smirked and let go of me, " Hmm so you're saying you don't know about the boy you spent time with in the park or basically had a date with today?? What about the fact that your so called best friend handed him your phone number Luna?" he interrogated as he walked towards me. With each of his steps forward I took a step back until I walked right into Silas' awaiting arms.

"So since you have no clue what has gotten us so riled up kitten, you wouldn't mind if we dropped by his house to have little chat. A quick one at that, two of us and only one him but he does have that little sister of his. Guess we'll just knock her out" Silas said. With each word coming out of his mouth I felt my resolve crumbling, Chase and his sister were both innocent but because of my stupidity they would get hurt.

He stroked my cheek and continued," And you don't even know the best part yet. Nobody would even question it if he came out with every bone in his body shattered because not only do they live in a shitty neighborhood but as a child he looked beat up every day of his miserable life. The odds seem to really be in our favor." 

'Chase used to get abused? What about his little sister? And now they'd have to go through that pain again because of me. I can't let this happen to them no matter what.'

"You both know that he's done nothing wrong. He was simply being polite towards me, don't hurt him for being a good person. You can hurt me, I'm the one you're upset with not him. Please I'm begging you not to do anything to an innocent person." I pleaded with them while keeping my eyes on the floor. I wasn't sure if my words would even have an effect on them as cruel people enjoy hurting others. But, I was sure that the twins revel in the pain they cause me and they blame it all on me to wash the blood off their hands. I was also surprised Ashleigh hadn't barged into the bathroom yet, typically annoyed by how long I was taking but was grateful that she wouldn't have to see this.

Griffin grabbed my chin and whispered, "There you go baby, knew you had a soft spot for that guy. For your sake we aren't going to touch him but if you keep in contact with him I wouldn't be surprised if he landed in hospital. Now go, I'm sure your friend is pretty agitated by now."

I immediately rushed out the door not sparing them a second glance and I practically ran into Ashleigh's arms. She was about a head shorter than me but tried her best to wrap her arms around me even through her confusion. "Hey what's wrong Luna? You took so long in there I was ready to come and get you myself. Were there some mean girls in there? Did they scare you? I'll go at them if they did anything to you." she said while balling up her fists. As much as I tried putting up a brave face in front of the twins all that pressure took a toll on me and I felt as though I was going to break.

I shook my head and mumbled, "No lets just go. I don't want to be around this place any longer." She nodded and we both began walking to her house, Ash kept her left arm around me providing some comfort to me. The walk over to her house was quiet and I could tell that she had questions but didn't know how to ask any of them. When we passed a house with three little boys playing tag I paused while watching them. "Luna?" she questioned in confusion while following my line of sight.

"If you knew that being friends with someone would only end up hurting them in the end what would you do?" I asked softly still looking at the clueless yet playful boys. "What do you mean? I don't really understand why you're asking that." she questioned. "Please just answer however you think you should." I sighed.

She remained silent for a moment and then said," It depends on the person Luna. Before you bring all your goody two shoes inputs let me finish okay?" I nodded slowly while looking at her now and she continued, "There are some people you wouldn't bat an eye at if you were told to lose contact with them for their own safety but there some people who make you feel alive. They make you feel like there's more to life and they make ordinary things seem extraordinary. They listen to you and put in extra effort not because they have to but because they care. And deep down you know that even if you told them to stay away for their own good, they wouldn't simply because they're that special and you're that important to them." 

My mouth practically hung open as tears were gushing from eyes, my eccentric best friend who always had a witty retort and never took anything seriously was here beside me comforting me in way nobody besides her ever could and I knew fully well that those were words spoken from her heart by the way her eyes became misty as she spoke.

I sniffled and tried to formulate any sentence but she beat me to it, she patted my head, "Now now don't get too emotional, it was something I saw on Instagram. But I only remember it because it made me cry the way you're crying now because the first person I could think of was you. My best friend who has been with me through all my ups and downs." she said with a small smile.

I tried wiping my eyes but how was I meant to calm down when she was here saying these kinds of things to me. As I kept wiping my face with my sleeves my phone vibrated with a text from an unknown number only this time my heart didn't beat in fear it sped up in excitement as the text said, 'Hey Luna :) ,this is Chase from the park and the cafe or maybe it'd be better if I said I'm Goldie?? Anyway just wanted to let you know that this is my number '

'Which person is Chase to me?'