Chapter 22

I blew the hot chocolate Ashleigh made for me while she paced around the living room muttering to herself under her breath

I blew the hot chocolate Ashleigh made for me while she paced around the living room muttering to herself under her breath. It has been a few hours since my embarassing breakdown and I've resigned myself to watching the mini marshmallows float around aimlessly as I blow it in an attempt to cool it down and avoid talking about my confession. 

A knock at the front had my body tensing while in contrast to my reaction, Ashleigh perked up and rushed towards it. I gripped the hot mug tight enough that my palms felt as though they were on fire and kept my head bowed even as I heard the approaching footsteps. "Luna, I don't want you to freak out but I called someone over because I'm pretty sure that they can help us and will play a key role in protecting you", I heard Ashleigh say while coming closer to me.

I peeked up to see who she'd called over and trusted with this terrible situation and my eyes widened at seeing Chase standing before me, wearing shorts and a crinkled shirt while his hair appeared to be dripping wet. I subconciously pulled up my blanket while asking,"W-what is he doing here, Ashleigh? He has nothing to with with this" while pointedly staring at her.

She rolled her eyes while crossing her arms,"You didn't think I'd actually let you go out with some stranger you just met without doing a little digging did you?" She placed her arm over his shoulders and continues,"I admit that he is handsome and the both of you would have some adorable babies but I'm not stupid enough to just trust anybody."

After her proclamation Chase coughed awkwardly and I didn't fail to notice the flush in his cheeks, I bit the inside of my cheek and said slowly as if speaking to a child,"That still fails to answer my question, Ash." I crossed my arms before adding,"Also do you realize that you just called yourself stupid?"

She ignored my questions and continued while gesturing excitedly at him,"Your beloved Goldie over here, is a former cyber security major." Hearing this made me glance at him curiously and with a little hope. He put his hands up and looked as though he was about to deny it but Ashleigh beat him to it,"That's not even the best part, he was the top of his class, probably would've been offered career options from the best company...well before he just dropped out that is."

He glared at her and sternly said,"Stop speaking about my private life as if its just some movie you're interested in. I came here because Luna needed my help and I don't see how my past relates to that."

She put her hands on his shoulders and sighed,"Your past is exactly why you're the perfect person to assist Luna right now." She turned towards me and said, "I'm going to make some sandwiches for us and leave you guys to talk about this." I shook my head violently and snapped,"No I can-," but Ashleigh interrupted me,"You can't fight this alone, you're such a strong person for fighting and enduring everything all alone but look at you," She got on her knees and held my hands,"You're reaching your breaking point and I want us to do everything in our power to keep you safe."

As she spoke her body trembled and the red tinge to her was greatly noticeable as her teardrops dribbled along her face. I bowed my head before smiling softly and saying,"Okay, I'll try my best to comply with whatever you have in store." Hearing that made her immediately brighten and hug me before going to kitchen as she planned beforehand.

'Pain can be found not just in tears, but also in the midst of smiles. That is something many people are aware of but in this moment she didn't need to know that . I've caused her enough trouble, I can do this much.'

Now it was just Chase and I alone, I looked at my hot chocolate and frowned at the white puddles left behind from what was my mini marshmallows. I glanced at him before nodding towards he empty space beside me for him to take a seat so he didn't have to awkwardly stand there and feel out of place. He complied and raised his hand but then lowered it slowly and chose to scratch the back of his head. The action reminded me of a puppy and I couldn't help but smile while imagining him as a puppy.

A sudden weight on my shoulder startled me and broke my train of thought. He gently gripped my shoulder and asked,"Luna are you going to tell me what's really going on? You seem shaken and from what your friend was saying, I'm assuming that its really serious. I know that we haven't known each other for very long but I'm here okay. And I hate waiting, I always find something else to do, try to speed it up or just move on but if its for you.." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear as the sun rays peaked through the curtains and illuminated his features," I'll wait as long as you need."

My mum always warned me about drugs sold in street corners, criminals lurking in the dark and how alcohol can turn people into either idiots or monsters but she failed to warn me about eyes like melted honey and how they'd be a temptation I'd find myself unable to resist. "Chase, I can't risk losing you. I don't know what would happen to you and what danger you'd be forced to face and..I'm afraid of what you'll think of me if I do tell you", I whisper while avoiding his gaze.

"I will never ever think of you as a bad person, you are someone so purehearted that even now as people are trying to help you're still trying to fight by yourself. Whatever this problem is, I'm going to do everything I can to help you now" he replied.

My eyes welled up with tears and for some reason this time I didn't mind the fact that I was crying. Ever since the twins appeared I have shed numerous tears due to the pain and suffering they caused me and each time I was left feeling absolutely pathetic. But this was different, my tears spilled not because of sadness not because of fear or heartache, it was because of happiness. I sobbed because it finally clicked that there were people on my side and were ready to help and I could finally hold onto a shred of hope that I could be safe again.

I held his hand tightly while trying to tell him what had been happening to me ever since my mum went away and the twins transferred to my school. I could only let out choked words while trying to tell him about most things but he listened silently and the more I continued, the tighter he gripped my hand. When I finally looked up at him I gasped at his red rimmed eyes and obvious tears he was trying to hide. 

Before I could say anything more he reached out and pulled me into a warm embrace. I was a little stunned but wrapped my hands around him and after a few minutes he mumbled,"I'm not letting them hurt you ever again."