The beginning after the end

Author's note: Hey guys, Whoever's reading this chap, Up from about chap 12 things get spicy. I'd appreciate it if you stuck through these first chaps, since this is my first work. Thanks

I never believed in the whole "light at the end of the tunnel" folly where people, after experiencing near-death experiences, would startle awake in a cold sweat exclaiming, "I saw the light!"

But here I am currently at this so-called "tunnel" facing a glaring light, when the last thing I remember was sleeping in my room (others call it the royal chamber).

Did I die? If so, how? Was I assassinated?

I don't remember wronging anyone, but then again, being a powerful public figure gave others all sorts of reasons to want me dead.

Anyway...

Since it didn't seem like I was going to wake up anytime soon, while I slowly gravitated towards this bright light, I might as well go along with it.

The muffled voices became clearer and I made out a: "Congratulations Sir and Madam, he's a healthy boy.

2 days later

It was late evening, and I was awake in my room. Through the wall separating my room and the kitchen, I heard my parents talking.

"Art is a little pale, don't you think? I didn't mention it to the doctor because he didn't seem to find it weird, and I thought it was normal and would go away soon. It has already been a few days, do you think we should call the doctor back?" whispered my mother

"He looks healthy to me. He might have naturally pale skin, I don't see a reason to cause a fuss about it" 

"Do you think so? Alright, but anything out of the ordinary happens and I immediately take him to a doctor, understand?"

"alright. Now go to sleep honey, you must be tired."

I was currently studying a dark red mass inside of me, and what it was. There was nothing like it in my previous world. I wanted to read some books about it as soon as possible.

1 year later

The mass inside me has changed to a bright red color, with me feeling much more energized than before. I also needed very little sleep, so I usually spent my time studying it and experimenting with it. I found out that there was a similar thing to the Ki of my old world called mana, and that this mass which is called a core is supposed to act as a sort of conductor for this mana. Another thing, which is surprising, is that children were supposed to obtain a mana core in their pre-teen years, and I was born with it.

1 year later

In one of my experiments, the mana from my now dark orange core went out of control and blew up half our house. From what I understood, my parents thought I had just gained the core as it is a normal occurrence for this to happen to children who just attain it.

18 months later

"Honey, I think it's time we get Art a proper mentor"

...

Adam asked, "Hey Reynolds, do you mind if I test little Art?"

Both my father and mother seemed at least a bit hesitant at first, but trusting their old comrade, my father just replied, "Alright, but be careful. I haven't had the chance to teach him how to properly fight yet. We've just been doing light strength and mana exercises 'til now."

Adam got up from his makeshift log seat and looked around until he found a short stick he felt satisfied with.

"Come here Kid. Haha, let's see what you're made of!"

I took out the wooden sword given to me by my father, and relocating to the edge of the camp, I took a defensive stance. Adam had found himself a stick, and stood a few meters in front of me. 

"You can at least reinforce your weapon with mana, right, genius?" Asked Adam mockingly

I didn't respond, rather shifting my feet to a better offensive position. I willed mana into my legs, and shot off towards Adam, taking him, and myself, aback with the sheer speed of my attack.

I realized I overshot, so I plunged the sword into the ground and pivoted around it, keeping a sizeable amount of my momentum. 

I arrived in front of Adam, and before he had the chance to react, swung down at him. It seems he realized that if he doesn't go all out, he's in trouble. He suddenly willed all the mana he could into his legs, jumping above my attack. 

What he didn't expect however, was my swift follow-up. I swung at him, but he was unable to dodge in the air, so he put his stick in the path of my sword to block it. My sword effortlessly broke the stick into a dozen pieces and smashed right into Adam's stomach.

oops. I went all out, now they're gonna think I'm some sort of monster.

Adam fell on his butt, and my mother ran towards me to scan my entire body for bruises or scrapes. 

"I think Adam needs the healing more than Art. Art is a little monster, I don't think I even stand a chance against him." called out my father

"How.. how did he do that?" said Adam, flabbergasted at what just happened.

A few days later

"BANDITS! PREPARE TO ENGAGE!"