An unexpected ambush

"K-Kath?"

"Arthur! Please, help!" Kath choked out a desperate scream.

[Godspeed Impulse]

My brain went into overdrive. Do I stand a chance against an Asura yet?

Well, there's only one way to find out.

[Awakened Realmheart]

Using pure mana, I forcefully locked the Asura in place, and flew Kath away from it. I took out Dawn's Ballad, and rushed in, slashing the Asura into pieces. 

"Wren, stop this!"

The pieces of the Asura laying on the floor turned to dust, and Wren emerged from the rocky ground.

"You caught on quick. How?" Wren asked, shooting me a curious look.

"Well, first of all, why would it attack me here. Second of all, why wouldn't it attack me when I was asleep? And third of all, it was full of earth mana." I responded

"Well you're a perceptive one. Alright, let's continue your training..."

...

"Boy, give me your dominant hand." Wren barked

Spreading my right hand with my palm facing up, I stared at the asura curiously. I could never read his face since he always had the same tired expression, like he'd drop to the floor snoring at any moment.

Taking out a small, black case the size of a fist from his coat pocket, he opened it and held out a small, pyramid-shaped, opaque gem. "This is a mineral called an acclorite. Now, by itself, it's a rather rare but useless piece of rock. However, with the right refining and synthesizing process that I will keep to my grave, it is capable of doing something remarkable."

"Remember when I said I don't forge swords, but create them?" the hunched asura asked, still holding out the tiny gem in front of me.

I nodded in reply.

"Well, with the use of this small little gem and the right tools, I can essentially grow a weapon."

"Normally, I would use the feedback from years, decades even, worth of constant observation of how you fight, in order to get the proper information to create a weapon that perfectly suits you, but because of the circumstances surrounding you, I'm going for a bit of a gamble by doing this," Wren clarified.

"What do you me—" A sudden, sharp pain cut me off as the asura suddenly stabbed the gem into the center of my palm.

"Gah! What are you doing?" I winced as Wren continued burying the opaque gem deeper into my flesh until it was completely submerged under my skin.

"Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to count to three," he jibed, rubbing my blood that'd gotten on his finger on my shirt. "I synthesized the acclorite with a portion of Lady Sylvia's feather as well as a scale from Lady Sylvie. These are both indispensable parts of what make you who you are. By doing this, I'm going to hope that some of the unpredictabilities will be accounted for."

"I'm sorry, but I'm not quite following along, Wren. Why do it this way if the outcome is uncertain? And besides, I thought you weren't going to make me a weapon?"

"Well, you're going to need more than just a sharp stick to get by in the future if you're going to be facing those ingenious basilisks from the Vritra Clan and whatever spawn they conjure up," he grumbled.

The asura's face turned solemn before continuing. "And it's because we don't have that much time."

"Wait, I thought that I would have about two years left before the war starts?" I stared at Wren as an uneasy feeling crept up from the pit of my stomach.