sixteen.

SKYE WOKE UP WITH A HEADACHE, AND THE EVENTS OF THE NIGHT PRIOR came back to her slowly. she knew enough to remember having gotten drunk, which she then assumed was the cause of the headache. she couldn't quite remember how she got home, though, and she was about to get up to ask katia when she saw it.

as she rolled to her side, she immediately noticed the piece of paper that lay on her bedside table. she picked it up, finding herself smiling as she recognized the horrible chicken-scratch handwriting.

my dearest skye,
i hope your hangover isn't too bad! i hope you don't mind that i brought you home. we have the day off, so give me a call if you want to do something together. talk to you soon.
- your bradley

she set the paper back down, stretching her arms over her head. so that's how she got home. skye didn't even want to think about the embarrassing things she was sure she had said the night before. 

when she finally got out of bed, katia was sitting by their countertop drinking coffee. "do you have plans today?" she asked when she saw skye, who had a hand pressed to her head. 

"no, roost asked if i wanted to go somewhere with him today but i'm currently nursing this.. nasty hangover." she said, sitting down at their other bar stool. 

katia nodded. "well do you want to invite him to come with us to see puppies?"

skye was all ears. "puppies?"

"there's a rescue shelter about fifteen minutes away that i just found out about. we have to go." 

"katia, there's no way we can take care of a dog and go to work at the same time." skye frowned. "as much as i want one, we wouldn't be able to provide for it." 

she nodded. "i know. which is why we're going today. they're having volunteers come in to play with them for a bit and then give donations. we get to set everything up for them, make sure they're all ready to be adopted. and if we find one that we both love, then i will peer pressure you into getting it."

skye laughed. "not like i wouldn't genuinely sell a kidney to get a dog." 

katia shrugged. "then if we come home with a puppy..." 

"oh my gosh i want one so bad." skye groaned, picking up her phone. "i'm gonna call him and see if he wants to go." she called rooster, who picked up on the third ring.

"how's the hangover?" he asked.

skye chuckled. "the movie or the one i currently have?" 

rooster laughed, remembering when he'd said the same thing to her weeks prior. "the one you currently have."

"it's not too bad. just a headache." she said, gratefully accepting the mug of coffee that katia handed her. "thanks, kat. um, so katia and i were thinking about going to an animal shelter today. they're having a volunteer day, so we'd get to go and get all of the puppies ready for adoption." 

he barely hesitated. "i'll be at your apartment in about.. fifteen minutes." 

she laughed. "we'll keep the door unlocked for you, so just come on in when you get here, okay? see you soon."

"see you soon." 

they hung up, and skye pulled up music on her phone. "shall we make breakfast?" she asked, shuffling one of her playlists. 

katia nodded. "pancakes with chocolate chips?"

"pancakes with chocolate chips." skye agreed, getting out their box of bisquick. she gasped as rock me armadeus started playing, and turned the sound up on her phone. "don't ask me what any of these words are."