fifty-one.

FOLLOWING HER CONVERSATION WITH HER FATHER, SKYE FOUND HERSELF WITH MULTIPLE QUESTIONS. firstly, she was confused about why he'd been removed as the teacher of herself and the rest of the potential squadron. she knew that he was the most qualified for the job, and that he could teach them how to fly the mission. and yet he had been forced to resign. skye also was wondering why he cared so much about her relationship with rooster.

it wasn't like it was his business, after all. yeah, she was his daughter, but he'd never cared before when she and rooster hadn't talked. in fact, they'd gone years in the past without even speaking once, and maverick hadn't batted an eye. now that it was happening in front of him, though, he seemed concerned. 

maybe he just wanted everyone to get along before the mission. or maybe that was just what skye was telling herself. 

the mission was getting closer and closer, and the squadron still had absolutely no idea how they were going to be able to fly the course. no one had managed to make it through the sharp pull up, the maneuvers, and still make it with the time limit. not even skye and katia, who were admittedly the closest to completing it.

skye was kicking herself for not being able to figure out how to do it. it should've been easy, in theory, but something about the two miracles was not in her strong suit. hangman had come over to check on her multiple times, putting a silent hand on her back. she knew that he could see the frustration etched onto her features, but he knew her better than to ask about it. 

she would, occasionally, silently put her head onto his shoulder. it was a way of thanking him for coming to check on her without actually having to say anything. 

skye often cried when she got frustrated, but it embarrassed her to ever admit to it. she couldn't help it, though; she'd always been that way. this mission was getting her to that point, the point of crying in frustration and anger in herself. she honestly would have started crying if it hadn't been for hangman's casual hand on her back, keeping her grounded.

that was still so odd to her. how he seemed to understand her suddenly, how he seemed to always be there. she remembered when she'd hated him, when he'd hated her, when they'd bantered and argued. now, she found herself wanting to be near him constantly. 

but a part of her also knew that she was filling the void that her heart felt now that she wasn't talking to rooster. it felt wrong to use hangman in that way, but she was so lonely. it hurt her too much to think about rooster's rejection, and so she chose to avoid it. to avoid even looking at him unless absolutely necessary.

it was so stupid, she thought, but she'd mentally planned it all out. she could look at him only twice throughout the work day. any more and she'd forget all of the boundaries she'd set and go running to him again with a boom box to ask him to forgive her. any more and she'd be confessing her love for him all over again. 

skye hated how things had worked out, or hadn't worked out. she'd gotten to become friends with hangman, sure, but she'd lost rooster in the process. and he was still right there, and still clearly hurt by her avoiding him. but it was so much easier, she thought, to avoid him than it was to face the feelings that he didn't share. 

and so, skye was constantly thinking about what her father had said. about how she and rooster had been so close, and how he'd noticed them not talking as much anymore. even more, she was thinking about the look in maverick's eyes as she admitted to having feelings for rooster. 

she wondered if he thought she should tell him. if she should say something before the mission. if she could do anything to change rooster's mind.

she'd snuck her second and final glance at rooster as she sat down in her seat at the hangar. he was looking amazing, as always, and she was trying so hard to ignore it. hangman was sitting on one side of her while katia sat on the other. rooster, as always, was sitting behind them.