twenty-one.

IT WAS A FEW DAYS LATER BEFORE ROOSTER FINALLY CONFRONTED MAVERICK. he had been over at his house, staying there with the sole purpose of getting to see skye and watch the new episode of the bachelorette with her and her father. he had ended up following maverick into his office of sorts.

the room was covered with memorabilia from his days in the navy, as well as mementos and photos of his current job as a test pilot. rooster eyed the helmets and plaques on the wall before his gaze fell to maverick, who had just noticed him. "hey, kid, what's up?"

rooster cleared his throat, turning away from the photo of goose and maverick that sat next to a photo of maverick and ice. "um, i actually wanted to talk to you about something." 

maverick tilted his head, a confused smile spreading onto his face. "sure, what's on your mind?" he asked, sitting down.

"well, if i'm being honest with you, skye wanted me to talk to you." 

he then sat up slightly straighter. "she actually wanted me to talk to you, too." he chuckled. "i'm assuming it's about the same thing, then?"

rooster shook his head. "i know she wanted me to talk to you about you pulling my papers.. and honestly, it doesn't really matter." he said, looking over at him. "if you hadn't pulled my papers, i guess.. i wouldn't be getting to fly with her now. so it's.. it can be water under the bridge, i guess."

"so what did you want to talk about, then?" maverick asked.

"um.." rooster looked anywhere but at him. "i really like your daughter, mav. i really like her. i mean, she's my best friend and i care about her more than anything in the world. i genuinely.. i genuinely think i'm falling in love with her." 

her father's face was expressionless. "so what does she think about this?"

he shrugged. "i don't know. i think she feels something similar. i mean, she acts like she does. and it just.. it's killing me that i can't tell her how i feel. but it's because i know she wants us to be on good terms. and i also knew that i had to talk to you first. i mean.. you're not my dad. but you're her dad. and i wanted to get your approval before i asked her out."

"so are you asking for my blessing?"

"uh.. yeah." rooster smiled. "yeah, i guess i am. can i date your daughter?" 

he watched as maverick's lazy smile slowly turned into a frown. "bradley, i.. you're a great kid. a great man." he corrected. "i just.. i don't think it's a good idea."

his brows furrowed. "what do you mean?" 

"i just.. i don't know. i think she's a bit young still, and you're both still working, and i don't think it's a good idea to be in a relationship with your line of work." he explained.

rooster shook his head. "just because your relationships haven't worked doesn't mean that skye and i wouldn't work."

"bradley, i just don't think-"

"if you're about to tell me that you don't think i'm ready, you can stop right there." he interrupted. "because that's the same thing you said about the naval academy, right?" rooster scoffed. "and don't say this is about her age. she's a grown woman, she can make her own decisions." he ran his hands through his hair. "i don't even know if she feels the same way, mav. this is all assuming she even likes me like that."

maverick sighed. "i appreciate you asking for my blessing on this. but i don't grant it. i don't think it's a good idea. and i can't stand to see her get hurt."

"and i can't stand to lose her again." rooster said. "i spent all four years of the naval academy being mad at you and taking it out on her, and i lost four years that i could've been close to her. and i just got her back, mav. you can't ask me to lose her again."