Chapter 2: Familiar Faces and Surprising Information

***

THIRD PERSON POV

Kaz reaches the bottom of the steps, scanning the room for Jesper. He spots him as Jesper lets out a shot, making the club fall silent for a moment, but the patrons' conversations begin again almost immediately.

Two security guards remove a man from Jesper's table for using counterfeit money. Kaz remembers the sharpshooter's favorite way of testing Zemeni coins for authenticity, and makes his way to the table faster than before.

Jesper laughs, reaching for the pot at the center of the game he's playing but Kaz stops him; the tip of his cane hitting the table. Jesper's eyes follow up, seeing his boss's face.

Kaz shakes his head. "No loud noises at the table, Jesper. You'll scare off the pigeons."

"Wouldn't want that, boss," Jesper stammers in response.

"Shouldn't you be on the door?"

"Yeah, right away, boss."

Kaz moves his cane to his other hand as Jesper stands up. He goes to make his way to the door, but Kaz stops him.

"I have another job for you."

Jesper meets his eyes, wondering what he's going to say.

"I need you to look out for a girl. (S/T), (E/C) eyes, (H/C) hair with (F/C) tips. Her name is (Y/N). When you find her, bring her straight to me." (A/N: (S/T) is skin tone, and I'm writing this here because I forgot.)

"Yes, boss," Jesper says, mind racing with the possibilities of who this girl was and why Kaz wanted her. Leaving the floor of the club, Jesper steps out the door into the rain.

***

(Y/N)'S POV

It was near impossible to tell how long had passed, but it felt like far too long. I reached the familiar crow sign that I would recognize anywhere. That's when I realized why this was all familiar. That's when I realized just where I was.

Ketterdam.

The Crow Club, to be exact.

And that girl I bumped into; that was Inej Ghafa.

"Well, at least I know this place," I say to myself and continue down the path.

Right outside the door I see a tall boy with dark skin and curly hair, and when I get closer I can see his startling gray eyes. He is lean and very tall, practically towering over me. I can barely see pearl-handled revolvers sticking out from under his deep brown jacket. As I approach I see him staring right at me, looking me up and down.

We meet eyes, and when I get close he grabs my arm.

"The boss is asking for you," he says, leaning close.

I try to wrench my arm from his grip, but his hand remains tight around me. When I give up, I look closer at him.

"Jesper?" I wonder aloud.

He nods, and leads me through the doors of the Crow Club. We go through the crowded floor, game tables filled with people and a bar on the far wall. He pushes me up the thin metal stairs.

The two of us stood on the small platform, waiting for a response to Jesper's patterned knock.

"Come in," a gravelly voice answers.

Jesper opens the door, and I'm greeted by someone leaning on a desk. His head down, looking at the messy papers spread all across the surface in concentration. His face was pale, and hair short on the sides. A few dark strands fell into his eyes, blocking them from view. Even from where I stood I could see his sharp jaw paired with a narrow face.