Chapter 12: Shadowy Fights and Bright Lights

***

The skiff slid across the sand, and the only light was the dim blue that came from the single light.

Thunder crashed in the distance, but by now I had grown used to the sound.

From our place in the back, we covered Jesper as he found the entrance to the lower level. He opened the door, a dim yellow light coming from below. He was the first to jump below, followed by Kaz who actually used the ladder. I gestured to Inej to go before me, leaving myself to plunge into the room last.

My hand held tightly to the rope as I closed the trapdoor.

Even down here the volcra could still be heard.

Jesper cleans his guns hurriedly, the screeching above along with the people up there cousin his nerves to be even worse.

"This is a bad idea," he complains, saying it quickly.

"I think it's rather practical," Kaz comments.

"What? Why?"

Kaz looks up, images of both the Grisha and the volcra who are above us that won't hesitate to fire in his mind. "I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns. So, cleaning them is a good idea."

I let out a breathy laugh, the reality of what the plan is sinking in. I have two resources: my powers–which I have to decide whether I want to reveal them here and now–and the blade that Inej gave me. My gaze went to where I knew that Mal was hiding, deciding not to uncover him yet.

"I don't mean this," Jesper corrects, holding up the revolver. "I mean this."

He gestures above and around us, trying to convey to Kaz that this whole thing is a bad idea.

A volcra growls–louder than before–taking all our attention.

"We are in the worst place in the world, in a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets." He takes a breath, trying to keep himself calm. "I should have brought Milo,"

"Who's Milo?" Inej asks.

I stare at her, trying to figure out how she has forgotten.

"The goat," Jesper reminds her, voice flat.

"How many bullets do you have?" Kaz asks, trying to keep us focused as the growling continues.

"Not enough," is his only answer as he spins his revolver in his hand.

***

"What's our play?" Jesper asks.

"We wait," is Kaz's response, earning a confused look from the sharpshooter.

"For what?"

"For whatever the general has planned."

"You figured him out?"

"Not entirely. Consider the scenario. The Sun Summoner fled from his palace, now she's tied to the deck. We are sailing for a city where another Ravkan general hired Arken to kill her. And I saw his face as he boarded. I know that look. He's a man consumed with vengeance."

"See it enough in the mirror, do you?" Jesper asks.

I take a step back, walking toward where I know Mal to be hiding. Inej was going to the same place.

We share a look, and I silently ask for her to let me do it alongside her. I don't share why. I don't really care whether she thinks I'm trying to prove myself to Kazzle Dazzle or some other reason.