Chapter 16: Arriving Back and Prison Wagons

***

Jesper is the first to speak after we got off the ship and stood in front of the entrance to the Barrel.

"Home sweet home," he says as Kaz walks forward past the storefronts. "Straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived. Yay. That's a good sign."

"Sometimes I forget how much you guys are wanted by the stadwatch," I comment. "But I'd rather be here with you guys than anywhere else in this city."

"Glad to hear it." Jesper puts his arm around me as we walk, which forces me to keep my pace faster than I normally do. "I think I may celebrate our arrival with a little dice and debauchery."

I take his arm off me, subtlety letting him know that he won't be getting that with me. The second part of that, at least.

"No debauchery," Kaz tells him, the first words I've heard from him since we got off the ship.

"Dice then."

Jesper is apparently very determined to get some type of entertainment only available in the Barrel. Must be missing it after all the time away from home.

"No dice. We have stops to make."

"What's first?" Inej asks. "Tante Heleen?"

"We get to the Crow Club."

Inside I wince, knowing what they would find.

Kaz leads us down an alley that serves as a shortcut to the club.

***

Kaz was the first to see the sign. I wince when I see the green and gold. I didn't even have to read it to know exactly what it said.

"Where's our sign?" Jesper asks.

Kaz's voice is flat when he answers the question. "It's been replaced."

"The Kaelish Prince?" Inej reads, trying to figure it out.

"What sort of name is that?"

The tattoo on the back of the bodyguard's neck holds the answer. Kaz sees it at the same time as I do.

"Dime Lions."

"Pekka Rollins owns the Crow Club?" Inej asks.

Jesper's voice is full of panic and sadness. "Where does that leave us? Are you saying we have no home?"

It hurts to hear Jesper say it like that. It hurts more knowing that I was here with him. It hurts more now that I've been to the Crow Club.

Kaz looks down. I can't see his face from here, but I can only imagine what he is thinking of. The so-called Jakob Hertzoon. His brother Jordie more importantly.

"My suits," Jesper continues. "All my hats."

"Split up," Kaz instructs. "It's not safe."

A whistle blows right as I adjust my bag that is slung over my shoulder.

"Halt!" Someone shouts. "You four! Hands up!"

"Too late," I mutter. I turn on my heels to face who shouted.

A man in a purple uniform with a gun pointed right at us. And he has backup. Wonderful. Weren't we just talking about being wanted by the stadwatch?

Kaz looks at the men before putting his hands in the air, his left open with his right around his cane. I follow suit, holding my hands in the air level with my head.

"Kaz Brekker," the officer says, starting with the Crow beside me.

Jesper looks at the two of us, almost annoyed, but reluctantly puts his hands up. Inej puts her hands behind her head.