Chapter 10: Stealing Carriages and Friendly Chats

***

(Y/N)'S POV

"I killed her. I just killed her."

Inej repeats the words as I stand and move to her side.

"Inej-" the words Kaz said to her when she killed for the first time come to mind. "Inej, look at me. Please."

She meets my eyes and I continue. "You saved my life when you didn't have to. Thank you."

Part of me wanted to admit everything in this moment, that she was supposed to kill the brother and how she had to kill Polina, that she would be able to meet the Sun Saint again and her parents too, that she got out from under Heleen's thumb, and everything else that I knew.

But I couldn't say anything and had to settle for a thank you.

"Here," I said, carefully wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "Let's get to the others. I don't know how to help with this, but they will."

She accepts the help and we both start making our way to the fountain. I think of what the Inferni called her, and how Inej reacted.

I kind of understood the feeling.

"Inej?"

"Yes?"

"You aren't trash. Don't listen to her."

***

We walk around the corner where I know that Kaz and Jesper wait. Inej had tried to tell me that there were quicker ways, but I didn't let her with how bad her wound was. Her hand and side were both covered in blood.

"Inej," Kaz calls worriedly, seeing her arm around me as I support her.

I looked up at him, his gaze focused on the blood. Kaz steps back, his jaw clenching because he wants to help but just can't. Inej tries to move her arm off me, but I don't let her yet. I'm worried that she may fall if she does.

Her gaze is thankful.

Kaz's gaze flicks to me, but it doesn't last long.

"The Inferni," I say for Inej. "She's dead."

The boys nod.

"Well you can't manage a horse," Jesper observes. "Not even riding double. We'll have to come up with another plan."

"Saints," Inej mutters as Kaz looks around.

"How about the General's own carriage?" I ask him, gesturing with my head to the black carriage behind Kaz.

"That's a pretty nice ride."

"Yes, indeed it is," Jesper agrees.

Jesper on Inej's other side, the three of us follow Kaz. Jesper goes to open the doors but I stop him.

"Someone is in there. A Durast. Not exactly a threat."

He gives me a puzzled look. "How do you know?"

"Just trust me on that."

Kaz spares me a glance and walks around to the other side of the carriage.

Jesper rolls his eyes, going over to the doors and opening them.

"Hello," he says once he sees that I was right. Just as it should David throws his book at Jesper and leaves through the other side. That's when Kaz hits him with his cane in a way I have to remind myself I shouldn't find hot.

"He threw a book at me," Jesper groans.

"Give it to me," I tell him as I help Inej inside. I sit beside her, leaving the boys to drive the carriage.