Chapter 9: Burning Fights and Shadowed Alleys

***

Inej meets Kaz and I right outside the church, joining our stride as we go over to Jesper and the carriage.

"What happened? You okay?" Jesper asks us.

"She's real, Jesper," Inej tells him. "She made the light sing."

"We lost her," Kaz says after.

I give a knowing smirk from behind the two, and Jesper gives a smile.

"Did we?"

"We don't know where she is."

"Don't we?" Jesper laughs. For a moment it pushes my thoughts of what I did away. "Just ask."

I laugh, and for once Kaz doesn't look my way.

My gaze goes to the trunk of the carriage, and I know that the future Sankta Alina was hiding there.

"Jesper-" Kaz begins.

"Just ask." The sharpshooter jumps into the front seat of the carriage. Inej climbs up beside Jesper, sitting on top of the carriage. I do the same, sitting on the same level. I make sure to give Kaz space as he sits at my feet.

"Fine," Kaz says. "Do we have a fix on where the target is?"

Jesper just smiles and cracks the reins.

Just like that we leave the Little Palace.

***

About two hours later we came to a stop, the four of us crowding around the trunk. We had gotten back in our normal clothes, which I was grateful for. The uniform wasn't exactly the most comfortable, but I still had to keep my hood on. The entire ride Kaz looked forward, and I knew I was going to have to explain hiding my abilities from him.

The lock falls to the ground, bringing my attention back to the situation at hand. The lid opened, and a girl looked out.

She saw us immediately, and realized she had to get out. Alina jumped down, landing on her feet with her hands out.

"We don't want any trouble," Jesper says softly.

"Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way," she answers, trying to walk to the side.

Kaz throws out his cane, stopping her.

"Clearly, you want out of East Ravka," Jesper continues. "But we can help you. We have a secure route through the Fold."

"I prefer to travel alone."

"Don't be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want."

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again. So step aside and let me pass."

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen," Kaz tells her.

As Jesper reached for his gun I threw up my hand to block the light, knowing she was going to try and blind us. Inej did the same when she saw me.

When it was safe I looked up, meeting Alina's eyes. The boys were still bent over, looking away.

"Go," I mouthed as Inej put her hands up. The girl gave me a grateful nod and ran off.

Kaz is going to kill me unless I can convince him he gets another chance to get her. But I don't really have a choice.

"Find her," Kaz grunted, finally realizing that Alina was gone. I followed Jesper before Kaz could follow.

***

I lead Jesper to the market where I know Alina is. When we get there he asks one of the ladies about a "girl with dark hair, gray duster, "yea high", Shu-ish". Not the best description, and the woman didn't know, but I saw her through the stalls.