Chapter 6: Beginning Planning and Inej's Audition

***

I stared at Jesper, part of me wondering how he could keep his shots down, the other still on the latest near-death experience.

"So," he begins, his appearance messy but still strangely attractive. Inej hands me one of the items on her plate, a small pastry-like thing that was actually pretty good. "That went well."

I rolled my eyes, taking a bite before putting my head in my hands. "Only for a thrill-seeker like you. Us sane people would disagree."

Arken slammed his cup down, picking up the pamphlet in front of him. "The Little Palace winter fete. There's just no way he can find a way to the Sun Summoner without Nina. Especially during this ridiculous party. The place will be crawling with Second Army."

"We're in luck," Kaz says from behind me. I turn around to face him as he takes the seat beside me. "There's a good chance we can crack on. Now that we're three days' travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace. It turns out the Kribirsk archives house the Little Palace blueprints."

"I assume there is a but."

Kaz glares at me, but probably not as harsh as it should have been.

"They're kept under lock and key. Fae from the prying eyes of the masses."

Jesper pounds his fist on the table in excitement, and I can't help but smile at the news I already knew was coming.

"What does that mean?" Arken asks.

"Time for a heist," Jesper answers, hitting his shoulder.

The corners of Inej's mouth twist up, and I can see she's also excited.

***

"I leave you a bullet to remember me," Jesper says as he pats Milo gently on the head. "Let's promise to never forget each other, Milo."

The barmaid looked at him weirdly, but I was standing back solemnly as I watched the scene unfold.

Jesper placed his hands on both sides of the goat's face. "But I must go now. I leave you in the care of this lovely barmain, who needs your support here."

"Goodbye, Milo," I whisper. "Sankt Milo of the tracks, helping so many on their journeys."

He grabs his jacket, slowly making his way to me while putting it on.

"It'll be alright," I tell him.

He sniffles. "Thank you. It's good to know someone understands."

I force myself to ignore Arken's confused glances or Milo's sad bleats. Jesper kisses him goodbye as we make our way to the door.

Inej appears on the other side of Jesper. "Where's Kaz?" she questioned.

"Talking to Arken," I answered. "Having him make some friends and get us a ride."

She nods in understanding.

"All of you in the carriage," Kaz says from a few feet behind me. I quickly turn to him, still not used to him sneaking up on me.

Well get used to it, I tell myself.

***

I sat beside Kaz in the carriage, trying to keep as much distance between the two of us as possible for his sake.

"One more thing," Jesper began, earning Kaz's attention as I continued to stare out the window. "This is for you."

He pulls a black beret out of his coat and hands it to Kaz, who looks at it with a poker face before putting it on.